Unable to access \\server from second domain - password prompt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim84

Cadet
Hello,

The problem:

When trying to access \\freenasserver that is located on domain1.local, from domain2.com, as the user domain2\administrator, I am given a prompt for username and password. When I use domain1\administrator all is well, and it lets me in. But I want to be able to get in as domain2\administrator.

If that above is hard to follow let me know and I'll clarify.

I have FreeNAS connected to Active Directory and working great with CIFS shares. But I can't access them as an admin on domain2... but I can access it on domain2 if I log in as the domian1\admin.

I have the FreeNAS shares all set up permission-wise as OWNER = domain1\Administrator, GROUP = domain1\Enterprise Admins. The Enterprise Admins group contains the domain admins group and administrator accounts of BOTH domains. So this should be working without issue, and it works without issue on windows file servers.

When I am on a server on Domain 2, and I try to access \\freenasserver.domain1.local, the message console outputs the following, and at the same time I get a username/password prompt:

Mar 26 17:31:43 SERVER smbd[79453]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsFailed to map kerberos principal to system user (NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE)
Mar 26 17:31:43 SERVER kernel: <118>Mar 26 17:31:43 SERVER smbd[79453]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsFailed to map kerberos principal to system user (NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE)
Mar 26 17:31:43 SERVER smbd[79455]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsFailed to map kerberos principal to system user (NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE)
Mar 26 17:31:43 SERVER kernel: <118>Mar 26 17:31:43 SERVER smbd[79455]: STATUS=daemon 'smbd' finished starting up and ready to serve connectionsFailed to map kerberos principal to system user (NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE)

If I enter the administrator credentials for domain 1, I can connect just fine. But I want to be able to connect as the domain2\administrator. It simply does not let me... even though the domain2\administrator is in the Enterprise Admins group. It's like FreeNAS sees and recognizes the Enterprise Admins group just fine, and everything in it, but ignores anything in it that is of a different domain than what the FreeNAS server is on.

Is there a fix or work-around for this that will allow me to access my freenas server from another trusted domain, if im in the group that has permissions?

Thank you.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Do you have a trust established between domain1 and domain2?

Tim84

Cadet
Yes, it's the same forest. A two-way trust is established by default. There are no shared resource issues between the domains on windows file servers and such. This is only happening within FreeNAS. We have several linux samba file servers running as well, using PBISOpen, which is software to join linux boxes to the domain and has a samba addon. There are no cross-domain issues there. This seems to be an issue with how FreeNAS is doing the domain thing.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
If you don't hear anything soon, I'd open a bug report. Out of curiousity, what does wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g show on both freenas and the other servers that are working? Is there a difference?

Tim84

Cadet
If you don't hear anything soon, I'd open a bug report. Out of curiousity, what does wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g show on both freenas and the other servers that are working? Is there a difference?
They both show all domain users and groups. It seems like either FreeNAS or Samba (or both) do not like nested groups... or at least groups that contain members and groups from a different domain. They see the groups, but if there's a member of another domain in it... too bad?

Is anyone else able to reproduce this to confirm it's a real issue and not just me?

Last edited:

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
I've only got one domain, otherwise I'd try it out. sorry

Tim84

Cadet
I think I see what's going on. FreeNAS doesn't recognize the other domain. For example, when I manually try to assign file system permissions to the pool or share via ssh, using "chown :"domain2\domain admins" /mnt/pool1/share
I get an error: illegal group name
But when I try "chown :"domain1\enterprise admins" /mnt/pool1/share
It works fine.
I tried this on a CentOS server that is joined to the domain and it works both ways on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.