FreeNAS as Airplay receiver? [Help with MythTV PBI?]

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejestre

Cadet
Hello,

I'm posting this after a lot of searching, but I'm not sure what to be looking for or how to word it. It is probably very easy to do this if one just knows what to look for...

I have an iPhone 4s and a computer running FreeNAS-8.2.0-RELEASE-p1-x64 (r11950). I want to hook up the audio outs on the FreeNAS box to my stereo and stream whatever music is playing on my phone through the FreeNAS to the stereo. I think this feature is called Airplay. My friend does it on his XBMC PC, and I'd be surprised if someone didn't figure out how to do this in FreeBSD or FreeNAS.

I tried to install MythTV because I think it has this functionality, even though 300+ MB seems overkill for just Airplay. I don't have a tuner card and won't be using many/any other MythTV features. Also, I couldn't get the MythTV plugin installed. Yes, I changed the line "client_max_body_size 250m;" to "client_max_body_size 512m;" and followed all other steps listed here:
http://protosd.blogspot.com/2012/10/mythtv-plugin-for-freenas-8.html
I see the MythTV icon in the FreeNAS web interface on the left under Plugins, but when I click on it I get a small notice saying "MythTV Sorry, an error occurred."

All help greatly appreciated.
Thank you,

_theJestre

Edit: I see you all looking, any info on this is appreciated. I probably have the chops to make a plugin for this if someone has more info on the Airplay stuff, or 'gotchas' to look out for.
Right now I'm looking at trying to put Shairport into a PBI with this PBI Guide.
Is there a reason this wouldn't work? I think Shairport is PERL-based. Thanks!

toddos

Contributor
Most people don't use their FreeNAS machine to do any AV output. It's usually the source for media, not the destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.