MythTV together with FreeNas, Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c163

Cadet
Hello,

Could I install the MythTV in a jail on Freenas? Is is possible?

Thanks.

leenux_tux

Patron
c163,

I am definitely a N00b as far as FreeNAS is concerned so can't say for sure if it's "possible" to do, however, I have been using MythTV for a number of years now (around 4 if my memory serves me correctly) so can hopefully help from that standpoint.

Apologies if your already well versed on MythTV......

MythTV is a big product. The dependency list is huge. I use Fedora Core as the base for my installation so I am lucky in that binaries are pre-built for my system and I can just run a "yum install MythTV" and away it goes (after altering the yum repository settings). I have no idea how FreeNAS would handle this. You would have to download all of the binaries and install manually I would imagine. Then there is the question of what you will use Myth for. Recording TV ? If so, what source ? Free2air (Freeview), Freesat, Satellite ? If you are going to record TV you will need to install a PVR/TV card. If you want to record multiple channels, multiple TV cards. You can also use Myth as the center of a CCTV system (Zoneminder), will you want to use that ?

The following links will give you an idea of the per-requisites and requirements for a Myth install

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hardware_Requirements
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-3.html

What I can say for definite is that you can use a FreeNAS box for data storage for your TV/Music and Movies. Which is how I use it. I used a USB 1TB hard drive for a while until it failed on me. FreeNAS is a much safer proposition.

Leenux_tux

c163

Cadet
Hi Leenux_tux ,

Thans for your reply.

I would like to install the mythtv just want it to be a upnp server. I tried the serviio,but it could not support Techsmith video codec file while the FFMPEG does support. So I need to try another DLNA server. Maybe I should try MediaTomb or Wild media server firstly.

leenux_tux

Patron
c163,

Take a look at xbmc as well. I have tested it on a laptop and it looks quite good.

Leenux_tux

ProtoSD

MVP
I agree with Leenux_tux, I have MythTV also and just discovered XBMC and it's really sweet. There's a MythTV plugin for it that will let you use XBMC as a front end. It has a very nice interface. That doesn't really solve the streaming issue you have, but have you also looked at MiniDLNA? There's a special build of FreeNAS you can download that has it built in. I just export my media folders from FreeNAS read-only to my Myth box and it works great.

kashiwagi

Dabbler
I would recommend doing it the other way around. Run MythTV on something like Fedora, and then run FreeNAS inside a virtual machine on the same linux host. FreeNAS works fine on VirtualBox, which is free to use.

I can guarantee you that you will have less headaches that way. If you really want to run it under FreeNAS, have a look at this page: http://wiki.freebsd.org/MythTV

Status
Not open for further replies.