Jails: What are the risks to my FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B34N

Dabbler
Could I be risking my FreeNAS system by expanding its use through adding more jails?

When I started using FreeNAS all I wanted was safe storage sytem with the benefit of running Plex, SABnzbd, Sick Beard and CouchPotato. I love how everything works so very well and was easy to setup (by sticking to suggested hardware and following instructions).

Now I'm considering using my FreeNAS system to do more but I don't want to do anything to put my perfectly running system at risk. Is there a point where I should consider not using my FreeNAS system to run something in a jail?

Below are the next two things that I might put on my FreeNAS box but I could certainly see myself adding more and more as I continue to learn what FreeNAS is capable of.

openHAB: I have a large number of Z-Wave devices controlled by another system that I might want to change over to openHAB. openHAB itself doesn't look like it will take too much since it just needs Java and runs on something as low power as a RPi. Is there a risk to connecting devices through a USB port on my FreeNAS box such as the Z-Stick?

MythTV: Right now I'm running a MythTV backend on an old machine which I would like to retire. I use my Myth backend to record broadcast TV through my HDHR Prime with cable card but I don't run any Myth front-ends since moving over to Plex.

Thank you,
B34N

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Could I be risking my FreeNAS system by expanding its use through adding more jails?

Could you be? Absolutely.

Might you not be? Yes.

The question is ambiguous because it depends on how you are doing your setup, how you are configuring and using your jails, what programs are running etc.

The question is not a simple yes/no answer. It really depends on you knowing what is and isn't "safe" for whatever level of expectation you set for calling a configuration "safe".

I properly setup and properly managed jail system is extremely safe. An improperly setup and improperly managed jail can bring all sorts of security risks to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.