Freenas 9.3-Stable Console Setup Wont Install/Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

soulrolll

Cadet
Burnt the ISO to the usb with win32DiskManager, booted into the installer.

I go to choose destination media to select a drive where freenas will be installed.

None of the 8 disks work ( usb / ssd / nas / ):

I get presented with the same error no matter what:

You need to select at least one disk!

This is starting from scratch after the Freenas firmware upgrade broke :/ not having much fun. Can anyone please help or shed some light on this problem?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_install.html#performing-the-installation

Use your arrow keys to highlight the USB, compact flash device, or virtual disk to install into and press the spacebar to select it. If you wish to mirror the boot device, arrow to the second device and press spacebar to select it as well. After making your selections, press Enter. FreeNAS® will issue the warning seen in Figure 2.3d, reminding you to not install the operating system onto a drive that is meant for storage. Press Enter to advance to the screen shown in Figure 2.3f.
(Emphasis mine)

Did you do that?

soulrolll

Cadet
Oh haha that will teach me for waking up early and not reading lol...

Got to the next bit fresh install and it just fails on installing to the 2nd usb stick (not the one im using to run the installer), just browsing the forums I guess there's still issues with 9.3

I prefer the img way of doing things, what a step backwards.

Cheers for the help anyway, reverting to 9.2.1.9 solved it for me.

Last edited:

pschatz100

Guru
This is starting from scratch after the Freenas firmware upgrade broke :/ not having much fun. Can anyone please help or shed some light on this problem?
Obviously, you've got other problems. Maybe your hardware doesn't support 9.3.

soulrolll

Cadet
Yeah probably my hardware... sure , I am forced to download an iso file for 9.3, whens the last time your server had a cd rom drive?

This is "2015"... rather use the 9.2.1.9 img then bother to install 9.3 with two usb drives, like I said problem solved.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah probably my hardware... sure , I am forced to download an iso file for 9.3, whens the last time your server had a cd rom drive?

This is "2015"... rather use the 9.2.1.9 img then bother to install 9.3 with two usb drives, like I said problem solved.

Come on, you have the following possibilities off the top of my head:

USB Optical drive
A second flash drive, imaged (I find it hard to believe someone tech savvy enough to try FreeNAS wouldn't have tons of USB drives lying around - a small one will do).
USB Mass Storage Device with Grub and all the ISOs you like to carry around
IPMI
Install on a computer that does have an optical drive
Install with a VM, USB pass-through and a virtual CD drive

danb35

Hall of Famer
I prefer the img way of doing things, what a step backwards.
Oh, ffs... Yep, running ZFS on the boot device is a huge step backwards. Because nobody would want snapshots/boot environments, a mirrored boot device, or verified integrity of the files on the boot device. UFS is a far superior filesystem, which is why the FreeNAS devs built an entire system to use ZFS in a NAS.

S

sef

For problems with adding a mirror -- go into the shell, and do "zpool status freenas-boot". If it says the device is something like "gptid/c<number>" (e.g., "gptid/c1aef04e-135f-11e4-a841-000acd20a106"), that bug has just been fixed, and is in the latest 9.3-Nightlies release, and will be in the upcoming -STABLE update.

If it doesn't match that, then it's another issue.

Going to ZFS is a major change, but the benefits (in our view) outweigh the costs, by a significant amount.

pschatz100

Guru

Let me get this right...

The upgrade from 9.2.1.9 tp 9.3 won't work...
You can't run a fresh install from a USB device...
When asked about your hardware, you offer a snarky comeback - without telling us what your hardware is...

Yep. There's a problem.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.