FreeNAS 9.1 CD installation. After install, trying to mount ufs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've installed FreeNAS 9.1 using regular CD installation. It installed normaly. After reboot, it shows me the following error:

"Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ufs/FreeNASa1a [ro]....
ELF interpreter /libexec/ld-elf.so.1 not found
Aug 19 19:47:02 init: /bin/sh on /etc/rc terminated abnormally, going to single user mode
Aug 19 19:47:02 init: NSSWITCH(_nsdispatch): files, passwd_compat, endpwent, not found and no fallback provided
Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:"

I can't go forward, please someone can give some assistance ? I never used USB drive ...

regards

Kay

gpsguy

It looks like you're having problems with the flash drive. Try a different one. And, if it was a 2Gb drive, use a 4Gb drive instead.

It looks like you're having problems with the flash drive. Try a different one. And, if it was a 2Gb drive, use a 4Gb drive instead.
Hi,

tks for quick answer ...

Why does it need flash drive ? I 've installed using regular CD ...

regards

TheSmoker

Patron
Can you please tell us what was the target installation disk? Was it a hdd or a usb stck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Target disk are 2 HDD in Raid 1 mode on the server ... It boots normally, but stops on the message above. No CD and USD drive used after installation process ...

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Target disk are 2 HDD in Raid 1 mode on the server ... It boots normally, but stops on the message above. No CD and USD drive used after installation process ...
If this raid 1 setup was not a true hardware raid it would explain the error.

Why are you not following the intended installation method of installing to thumb drive?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Hi,

I start over into new installation, using CD and Thumb drive. The installation went well, recognized the USB drive correctly, but after rebooting, still have same problem.

Kay

gpsguy

Did you change the boot order in the BIOS to boot to the USB flash drive? If you haven't done so already, please wipe the old installation from your HDD's.

If changing the BIOS order doesn't work, please let us know more about your hardware. See the forum rules, item #3.

Hi,

yes I change it. My HW is IBM server X3550 M2 model. Regarding the old HDD config with Raid1, I took away (including HDD) There is no embebbed HDD in the server... Attached to this server I have 2 storage with each 12 x 600 GB disk in RAID5 mode using Megaraid SAS 8480 card.

Attached the picture with error ...

Attachments

• 20130820_210240.jpg
    20130820_210240.jpg
    308 KB · Views: 269

paleoN

Wizard

Denton Yoder

Cadet
Same spot, I'm getting error 19...
The install claims that it works, but it fails for USB 3 stick, usb 2 stick, usb hard drive in 3.0 and 2.0... It only works when I install to an internal HD. Weird...
Haswell chip i7 3.5ghz, 32g ram... MSI z87-G41. I picked this MB and chip because they have qty 6, 6gbit sata ports on mb. I was thinking of a 6 disk raidZ-3, but I'm running 5 now. Monday I may try to add a SD card reader and see if that works, but it is connected through usb, so I doubt it...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
This is proving to be a recurring issue.. my guess is the USB3 controller is not compatible with its driver in FreeBSD. Try disabling the USB3 controller(or XHCI functions).

Denton Yoder

Cadet
Thanks,
I didn't see XHCI or a separation between usb 2 & 3 in the bios, but I will look again Monday.
If I don't see it, I'll disable onboard usb and add a pci usb adapter... that should work. Don't
know why I didn't think of that Friday!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Many PCI and PCIe USB adapters aren't bootable and even more aren't compatible with FreeBSD. So do your homework and make sure both are true before you go spending money on one. Very few people buy USB adapters as addons so I'm not sure if forum searches will be particularly useful. Server boards I've read about in the forums based on Haswell let you disable the XHCI in the BIOS, which solved many issues. Not sure about your non-server board though.

On a sidenote, you are taking some risks with not using ECC RAM. Search around the forums and you'll see it can be very destructive to your entire pool if RAM goes bad.

Denton Yoder

Cadet
Thanks,
I'll look for the XHCI setting first. I spent my dime, so parts like pci usb will have to be found in my board box... I'm just trying to free up one more sata port. I'll remember what you said about the ram... Maybe next year.

Denton Yoder

Cadet
Bios has a usb compatibility setting, but it didn't do anything. I added an old adaptec usb pci card. The bios supported booting from the addin card. I tried both usb2 and usb3 sticks. I tried a lot of combinations and actually having both sticks in the add-on usb board WORKED! Sweet, but have no idea why. not worrying about it, I got my sata port back, and the 6th drive added to the NAS :)

Thanks cyberjock

MikeW

Cadet
As of this post, the problem the OP has seems to still be present. I have used both the img (running directly from usb) and ISO (installing on usb) on several usb media and get this same error. The problem doesn't occur when using the img or iso within a virtual machine. This problem occurs on an older machine and with a much newer machine with uefi hardware (regardless of uefi on/off) the bios doesn't even see the usb stick as bootable media. I am going to go on a limb here and say that either 1. The build doesn't fully support the older USB controller and/or 2: There are incompatibilities between the computer(s)bios and FreeNAS. Founding builds (when FreeNAS was in it's infancy) used to work flawlessly on the older machine, so I am only guessing that throughout code changes etc, some sacrifices had to be made to remove legacy devices in favour for newer ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.