Freenas 9.1. and Firefly and Itunes 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

petrmikes

Cadet
Hi,

is posible shared itunes library to Itunes 11 on Freenas 9.1.1?

I have problem with this sharing. I created folder MP3 and insert 1 mp3 file.

Then i configured the firefly plugin and to the configuration inserted this mp3 folder.

after run firefly is detect 1 mp3 file, but when is itunes 11 opened, then i dont show any shared device.

Can you help me?

Thanks

D

dlavigne

From the FreeNAS Guide:

Firefly has not worked with Apple products since iTunes 10.2 and IOS 4. While it can be used to serve older iTunes music, it does not do video streaming.

petrmikes

Cadet
From the FreeNAS Guide:

Firefly has not worked with Apple products since iTunes 10.2 and IOS 4. While it can be used to serve older iTunes music, it does not do video streaming.

Sorry i dont understand last sentence. Is possible share just music from freenas to itunes 11 and ios7?

D

dlavigne

Perhaps this is clearer?

Firefly has not worked with Apple products since iTunes 10.2 and IOS 4. While it can be used to serve music on iTunes versions 10.2 or older, it does not do video streaming.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Perhaps this is clearer?

No, Dru, that's more SPECIFIC (and I think wrong as well, since Firefly is a specific DAAP project). What would be clearer is probably: "The Firefly project ceased active development in 2008. A more recent fork, forked-daapd, is currently under occasional development, but the latest release is two years old. FreeNAS does not directly develop either of these projects. The Raspberry Pi guys appear to be continuing to try to make this work. Patches to integrate those changes on FreeNAS are welcome!"

:smile:

petrmikes

Cadet
Thank you sou much. I thought, that is possible on freenas shared the itunes music library, but without will use only dlna beside mini dlna on ubuntu.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You know, I see Apple users really getting screwed pretty regularly here on the forums. I mean, simple stuff works(as it should) but as soon as you want to do really cool stuff with an Apple device, you're really left hanging out to dry on your own. :(

Guess that really does demonstrate that closed source locked down devices and OSes aren't a good idea for those that like to "think outside the box". Which I find very ironic considering Apple's monicker is "Think different".

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Well, this gets back to the whole Internet concept.

The Internet originally held great promise, any IP could communicate with any other IP. You could set up a server to do some random thing and get global access to it.

But then along came dynamic IP's, and dialup, and it became ingrained that end users were dynamic and their ISP's would do their mail service. Except the mail service sucked, so then they'd Hotmail. And Hotmail sucked less.

But then along came cable and DSL, and despite technically being "dynamic", CPE would retain an IP for an indefinite amount of time, and in reality the users could have been assigned statically, except the ISP's wanted to discourage "servers" and cause people running servers to buy a more expensive class of service.

So now here we are, years later, with the NSA installing massive fiber taps on the small number of major mailbox providers around, because it became the "in" thing to use a major e-mail service.

And when you look at it, really, that's because, as a community, the technical people like me who've spent a career making the Internet work have mostly failed to actually make it _easy_ for the average person to set up and run a mail server.

And everyone who uses FreeNAS should have some vague idea of what I'm talking about... there's a ridiculous amount of configuration and flexibility for FreeNAS that is both a blessing and a curse. Would you give it to your mother to use, unconfigured?

So along comes Apple, for better or worse, and they do a pretty good job of packaging up existing technologies to make them accessible. But at the same time, they have an interest in making money. So they want to marry you to their Cloud product. They could just as easily have married you to a Mac that they sold you at home, and made it possible to have all your devices totally dependent on that computer instead of their Cloud, but largely they didn't... because that's more complicated, and Apple despises complicated.

So, I had to put forth all of that as context for what comes next:

Doing "really cool stuff" with an Apple device is difficult. But the flip side to that is that in wanting to do so, in an environment where it was never really designed to BE easy to do really cool stuff, this perpetuates the complexity problem and boy has the Internet turned into a train wreck of sorts as a result.

I would so very much love to be able to spend a little time to make a competent e-mail server plug-in for FreeNAS. Probably not today though. :-/

Timothy

Cadet
actually, it is possible. i stream firefly to my itunes 11 from firefly on 9.1.1 freenas. streams flawlessly.

Gaurav Garg

Cadet
Timothy,
I am a newbie to FreeNAS and will love some guidance on setting up Firefly for AppleTV. I just installed FreeNAS 9.3 and installed the FireFly plug-in.

If possible, I will like to migrate my music and videos to FireFly. Any tips on where to park the media, how to setup permissions and link AppleTV to FireFly will be great.
Appreciate your help!
Gaurav

danb35

Hall of Famer
Gustav,

This thread's nearly two years old, and there doesn't seem to have been any development on Firefly for seven years. If your goal is to stream music and videos from your FreeNAS server to your AppleTV, Plex Media Server (on the FreeNAS box) and PlexConnect (on the AppleTV) are probably the better way to make that happen. You'd be better off starting a new thread than trying to revive a long-dead one.

Gaurav Garg

Cadet
Thank you very much for pointing me to PlexConnect and Plex media server. I have setup Plex plug-in on FreeNAS 9.3. Going through their support documentation to learn :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.