Debugging Avahi/Zeroconf/Rendezvous with Firefly mt-daap

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppmax

Contributor
Hi--

I have Firefly up and running successfully on my 8.2 BETA 3 server. When I start Firefly I can see a shared music folder show up in iTunes (latest version on OS X).

However, after a while the shared folder disappears--or if I put my laptop to sleep and then wake it--the shared folder is gone and the only way to get it back is to restart the plugin on my FreeNAS box.

I've been digging in to this (having set up Avahi on a CentOS PBX server) and am having trouble understanding how the _daap._tcp. service is being announced. When I tail the mt-daap.log file, I see "Starting rendezvous daemon" and "Registering rendezvous names" but I can't for the life of me see an avahi-daemon running within the jail...nor do I see an mt-daap.service file in the (non jail) /etc/avahi directory.

Also, I noticed that the jailed /usr/pbi/firefly-amd64/sbin/mt-daap executable is using a different iTSh Version string (131073) vs. what the current version of iTunes uses (196616). You can see this if you cat the file and search for "iTSh version".

Here are a few questions:
Is avahi/rendezvous running inside the jail?
If so, where are the service files? (I've done find . -name "*service*" inside the jail root...no dice)
If firefly relies on the non-jail avahi services, do people create their own .service files for firefly?

Thanks much--
PP

ppmax

Contributor
Responding to my own post with some more info...

I have avahi-tools installed on another box; running avahi-browse -a -r reveals some interesting details: of all the mdns services available on my network, 3 services running off my FreeNAS box don't resolve:
Code:
Failed to resolve service 'FreeNAS' of type '_rsp._tcp' in domain 'local': Timeout reached
Failed to resolve service 'FreeNAS' of type '_daap._tcp' in domain 'local': Timeout reached
Failed to resolve service 'FreeNAS' of type '_http._tcp' in domain 'local': Timeout reached

Does this happen on anyone else's FreeNAS install?\

thx
PP

ppmax

Contributor
How does one add an avahi .service file that will survive a reboot?

thx
PP

paleoN

Wizard
Disclaimer: I've never used Firefly.

I have avahi-tools installed on another box; running avahi-browse -a -r reveals some interesting details: of all the mdns services available on my network, 3 services running off my FreeNAS box don't resolve:
Does mdns use multicasts? If so it's a [post=26859]known issue[/post] with BETA-3 which is already fixed for upcoming BETA-4.

To write to the USB drive:
Code:
mount -uw /

mount -ro /
First command changes it to read-write & second switched it back to read-only.

ppmax

Contributor
Disclaimer: I've never used Firefly.

Does mdns use multicasts? If so it's a [post=26859]known issue[/post] with BETA-3 which is already fixed for upcoming BETA-4.

To write to the USB drive:
Code:
mount -uw /

mount -ro /
First command changes it to read-write & second switched it back to read-only.

Thanks for the referral to that thread--it looks like this is exactly what is giving me a bruised forehead. Glad to see it fixed in B4.

Thanks also for the tip about writing to the usb...that is world of duh...no wonder I couldn't figure it out ;)

PP

Status
Not open for further replies.