FreeNAS 9.1.2 - release date?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johhhn

Explorer
Is there a release date for this?

FreeNAS 9.1.1 is not stable enough for TimeMachine (afpd), which is critical.

I was hoping to have a stable enough environment so I could build and deploy to numerous clients.

However-- before I give up on FreeNAS, I'd like to inquire about the next version, which will have Netatalk 3 installed.

1. Does anyone know the release date?
  2. Has anyone tested Netatalk 3 with time machine and can you comment on reliability?
Thank you for any feedback!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
1. No. That's one question you won't generally get answered here. It's released when its released. Considering it hasn't been a release candidate yet I figure you've got a few weeks in best case.
2. I don't think anyone here has tried the nightly build yet, and I'm not sure if a nightly with netatalk 3 setup and operating fully has been released yet.

I do know that every time somone complains about Time Machine on afpd someone else says it works flawlessly on CIFS. So I'd recommend you use CIFS instead.

raidflex

Guru
I am really looking forward to the upgrade option for plugins. I really think a small update should have been released to fix this issue, before 9.1.2.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's exactly what I take it to mean. A longer wait....

Bruin

Cadet
View attachment 3146

I'm running the 9.2 x64 alpha 2013/11/20 from this address http://sourceforge.net/projects/freenas/files/FreeNAS-nightlies/.
It has netatalk v 3.1, the current version. Prior October nightly had v 3.0.6.

My Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz with 4GB RAM was upgraded from 8.x to 9.1 to 9.2 alpha. Used as a AFP home file server only.
Time machine on Mac OS 10.5/10.6/10.8/10.9 on a lz4 compressed share runs fine. I've tested by browsing TM on 9.2a; but last did a full restore because of a dead MacBook Air SSD when the server was FreeNAS 9.1. Mavericks(10.9.0) console filled with error messages apparently from Netatalk 2.2.4 when using FreeNAS 9.1 but otherwise would function. But thats what prompted the alpha trial/experiment.
Web GUI occasional crashes on FreeNAS 9.2 alpha but doesn't effect the file server. Since the 9.2 upgrade QuickBench on a G5 10.5 PowerMac measures 110 MB/s read and ~85-95 MB/s write on a 2 TB lz4 compressed share, a little better than without compression turned on. Reverse seemed true on 9.1. So far seems stable for an alpha. More good things to come when they get it finalized! Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.