FreeNAS 9.1.1 system corruption after jail installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was installing Plex Media Server Jail on FreeNAS 9.1.1. from web gui. After a while:
- web gui stops responding (connection reset)
- system fails ssh authentication (access denied)
- SMB sharing stops working (path not found)

Also after (some) hard restart (no way to have a clean shutdown) system rebooted exactly in the same state.
The curious thing is that all others plugins (minidlna and transmission) work perfectly!

Jail installation seems dangerous ... what's happening?

D

dlavigne

Sounds more like a hardware issue. What are the system specs and what type of NIC?

Problem found!
System automatically configured Plex Jail with the same IP address of the NAS interface..... (ignoring parameters "IPV4 Network Start & Stop Address")
So no system corruption happened but maybe a check about IP address conflict could be introduced.

D

dlavigne

That's strange and something that isn't supposed to happen... What type of Jail did you create or did you use Plugins instead? Is this a fresh install of 9.1.1 or did you upgrade from an earlier version?

FreeNas upgraded from 8.3.1 to 9.1.1. I used the automatic plugin installation function (so jail was created from Plex Media Server plugin installation).
Before trying to install new plugin I've configured FreeNas with jails network address from 10.0.2.100 to 10.0.2.110.
My NAS has NIC configured statically with IP 10.0.2.250.
Since I had Trasmission Plugin bound to IP 10.0.2.249 (for historical reason) installed before, I suspect that the algorithm for creating new jail catches "max jails address +1" for it's IP without any configuration checks.....

anika200

Contributor
Problem found!
System automatically configured Plex Jail with the same IP address of the NAS interface..... (ignoring parameters "IPV4 Network Start & Stop Address")
So no system corruption happened but maybe a check about IP address conflict could be introduced.
I can confirm your problem and findings because the same exact issue happened here with my box. I too upgraded from 8.3.1 to 9.1.1 and ran into the issue.
I ended up doing a clean install and starting over with all the settings, probably unnecessary but I was unsure what exactly was happening and suspected a corrupt/borked upgrade. Everything is working as expected after the clean install.

tomf80

Cadet
I have this exact problem right now, after installing the owncloud plugin and it crashing halfway through the installation through the web GUI. Can only get in through the shell on the box itself. How do I resolve this and get full access to my box back?

Resolved: Shelled in to box, connected to new jail, changed its IP (both temporarily and permanently in rc file), exited, restarted nginx. That worked, then rebooted the box and changes stuck.

tchxue

Cadet
Status
Not open for further replies.