FreeNas 8 hangs ( running in VM Workstation 9 ) when drive is removed

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuelin

Cadet
Hello all. I am testing freenas 8. it is installed in a VMware workstation 9 vm. with 4 vmdk's on for the OS and 3 for a volume. I have added the volume as a ZFS and setup an Iscsi target with a file extent. I used the iscsi initiator in windows to create a drive and formatted in win 7. I copied a video file to the drive. I start to play the video file and then remove a VMDK from the server. when this happens the freenas server hangs, well becomes non responsive. the web interface is not accessable and while i can type in the console nothing of use occurrs. I force a reboot of the freenas vm and it comes up ok with a report that a drive is missing and it will function normally. I can shutdown the system add back the drive boot up and it rebuilds the ZFS volume
e

Is this what happens becuase freenas is in a VM? or does this happen on the native hardware? I would think a single drive failure would not cause it to hang.

does anyone have any advise?
thanks
shuelin

Nguyen

Cadet
I tested Freenas 9.1 on Workstation 10 vm and still had the same problem. I disconnected one drive to test disc failure. VM reported disc failure and FreeNas vm froze and stopped responding. Sad :(

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It doesn't hang if a disk fails on real hardware. VMWare is NOT designed to handle a disk failure with the VM running. The best you can do to simulate a disk failure is to shutdown the VM, delete a disk from the VM, then boot the VM back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.