Freenas hangs completely with compression

Status
Not open for further replies.

b1ghen

Contributor
I have a Freenas installation that hangs completely at anything between daily and 3 weeks depending on it's mood it seems...

I've had the server running fine since April, but in September I started using compression some more (compressing daily Hyper-V backup images) and since then it just hangs and needs a power toggle / reset to get back online again. It is still responding to ping but the shares are gone, the GUI not working, and on the console it responds to pressing the keyboard but nothing happens.

I was running 8.0 RELEASE when this started, then updated to 8.01 and 8.02 but the problem still exists.

I am running a 3 disk RAIDZ1 with 2TB drives in a 1U Intel SR1500ALSASR system (Intel S5000PAL motherboard) with 2 x Intel Xeon X5355 quads and 8GB of RAM (used to be one Quad and 4GB but going to two quads and 8GB did not solve the problem).

Having 8-cores might seem overkill but according to the Load Average I need it during the heavy file operations, I'm guessing compression of huge files is to blame here :)

When I set up compression I experimented with different compression levels and settled on Gzip (fastest) for my VM backups since Gzip (Maximum) actually hung the server after just a few hundred GB of data copied. So I set it to Gzip (fastest) and it ran fine for 2-3 weeks, then it hung and does so now at seemingly random intervals.

As a reference I transfer and compress about 1TB of data daily to this box.

Anyone have any tips on why it's hanging Freenas and if there's something to do about it?

Status
Not open for further replies.