I've just built myself a shiny new machine with the following components

* CPU - AMD X4 750K Quad 3.4GHz - LINK
* RAM - 8GB 1333MHz Corsair XMS3 - LINK
* Motherboard - ASRock - FM2A85X-ITX - LINK
* PSU - Corsair CX430M - LINK
* Case - Fractal Design Node 304 - LINK
* HDD's - 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB - LINK
* Bootdrive - 2.5" laptop drive I had laying around

As this CPU doesn't have a IGPU, i have had to borrow a GPU from my main machine. A gigabyte GTX560 so i can see the IP address when freenas has booted, and ensure the BIOS is in the correct boot order.

I can successfully boot into FreeNAS, and see the IP it has been assigned by DHCP on the monitor I have connected to my GTX560. The IP is 10.0.0.4 which is normal.

If i remove the graphics card after a shutdown, the disks make the same noises as when i boot with a GPU installed, and if i check the DHCP clients listed in my router logs, the freenas is there with client ID "freenas" with the same IP (10.0.0.4) it was assigned when the GPU was installed. So far, everything is behaving exactly the same way. The motherboard seems to have POSTed and freenas has booted correctly and assumed an IP address.

If i go to a web browser on another machine and try to view the webGUI, the page times out. Also, if i ping the IP address, it times out.
I'm really stuck for what to do next, can anyone help?

Surely freenas doesnt require a monitor/GPU to be connected for it to boot properly?
Are there any logs i can post for you to view?

I have tried THIS, to no avail. FYI, The motherboard I'm using does not have a serial port.

Thanks,
Austin

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Even without having a serial port, have you tried enabling Serial Console under Settings -> Advanced prior to removing the graphic card?

titan_rw

Guru
That's exactly why I'm glad I hung on to some old hardware.

I have a very cool vintage Ati Mach 64 pci video card in one of my nas boxes. Era 1995. Takes no power, doesn't use any slots that I'd otherwise want to use for drive controllers, etc. And worst comes to worst, I can still hookup a monitor, and the console is perfectly useable.

I think it's cool that 18 year old hardware is still serving a useful purpose.

AustinGeorge

Dabbler
Well, here's what i did. So that others can learn from my mistakes.

Firstly, my boot drive was giving an error. That wasn't good so i fixed that by reinstalling. No biggie.
Second, i could have a GPU plugged in, and no monitor connected and it would work.
I then removed the GPU and was back at square 1.
I then put my motherboard speaker from my desktop PC in this ITX board and listened to the noises it made with and without the GPU, lo and behold, it wasn't POSTing without the GPU!
Madness, it still takes an IP address, and at leat attempt to boot into freenas as the hard drives all make the same noises when booting and loading the OS.

Anyway, i'm adament that I won't use my one and only PCI slot for a gpu to make the thing actually work so i spoke to amazon over a webchat, and they will refund the full price of the CPU, even though its been opened and installed!

I'll pick up an A-series CPU tomorrow from a local shop with an integrated graphics chip which should solve all my problems (now i've jinxed it)

When i've made the switch, i'll post again and hopfully conclude the thread.

Austin

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Is this in bold letters in a guide somewhere that i missed? This seems like something that should either be addressed or made more prominent to newbies.

Austin

Why would it be? This is a hardware limitation known to cover most consumer hardware....it has nothing to do with FreeNAS...most consumer hardware WILL NOT post without a GPU attached. This is something you have to know when it comes to YOUR hardware.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why would it be? This is a hardware limitation known to cover most consumer hardware....it has nothing to do with FreeNAS...most consumer hardware WILL NOT post without a GPU attached. This is something you have to know when it comes to YOUR hardware.

Ding Ding Ding! Higher end consumer hardware will often have a BIOS option to continue booting without a video card, but everything else won't post without a video card.

AustinGeorge

Dabbler

Sorry, My fault, I was still in the headspace that it was posting and not booting correctly.
I'll edit that out :)

Ding Ding Ding! Higher end consumer hardware will often have a BIOS option to continue booting without a video card, but everything else won't post without a video card.

Good call, I should have checked, but it isn't the end of the world.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Nope. And you got a free CPU!

I bet money you'll never make that mistake again.. lucky for you the lesson wasn't expensive :P

AustinGeorge

Dabbler
Just reporting back in...

I picked up a Zalman CNPS9900 MAX and an AMD A6 5400k.
Replaced the X4 750k with the 5400k and now freenas boots without a discrete GPU and without a monitor installed.

I am having a problem however with the CPU fan running at 100% constantly and making more noise than i imagine it should. In the BIOS the CPU indicates its temperature at 30-32degC and the target temperature is 55degC.

When i boot into FreeNAS, the fan runs at 100% and does not slow down. Is freeNAS assuming control of the CPU fan? and if so, can change the parameters it uses to calculate fan speed?

Thanks,
Austin

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's gonna be a BIOS thing. But please start a new thread since your previous problem was resolved.

Thanks.

Edit: I find it very unique that changing a CPU made a difference. But I'm not an AMD person myself, so I can only really comment with 100% certainty regarding Intel CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.