Can't access webGUI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaltsoplyn

Cadet
Hi guys, first post and a needed one as I hit a road block
I'm posting this over to sourceforge forums.

So, I decided to build a freenas server on a P4@2.4GHz, 4x256Mb Ram and, for now, just one 2Tb HDD.
The hardware was tested for about a week running XP. No problems.
Server is connected to a Pirelli VoIP router with a patch cable and my main PC is also connected to the router, but with a crossover cable.

Everything went smoothly: installation on the 4Gb CF card was a breeze, boots up, no errors or warnings (not absolutely certain about that, things scroll too fast; where are the logs located, really?), acquires an IP via DHCP. I thought everything was ok, since my first test was to ping to and from the server and had no packages lost whatsoever.

However, I can not access the webGUI.
I used:
1) Opera, Chrome, Firefox and IE on my Vista ultimate laptop
2) Chrome from my Win 7 ultimate desktop
3) Opera, Opera mini and Chrome from my Meego/Linux tablet pc.

I tried:
1) Manually setting up network attributes
2) Changed IP to the one forwarded through port 80 by the NAT virtual server
3) Trying different combinations with the DDR Ram modules (in case some module was dead)
4) Unhooked my main pc from the router
5) Tried connecting the server via the crossover cable

Now, for some obscure reason, number 5 worked...once! And this baffles me even more. Indeed, once I unhooked my main PC and used the crossover to connect the server to the router, I was able to access the webgui via opera on my laptop. I turned things off, went for a midday nap and it never worked again. What's going on here guys? Any suggestions?

I just noticed: is my problem related to this?

Thanks

tomsdongle

Cadet
sounds just like my problem, what version of FreeNAS are you running?

kaltsoplyn

Cadet
8.0.1 release

Also tried editing the /usr/local/etc/lighttpd/lighttpd.conf

and changing server.bind from "0.0.0.0" to "192.168.1.5" (that's the server ip)

and then /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lighttpd restart

but to no avail.

ProtoSD

MVP
I think I just ran into this on one of my test machines. I'm not sure I can recreate it, but after an upgrade it had an old IP address. I tried to change it from the console menu network setup wizard, but that didn't even work. I did a complete factory reset from the console menu, and after it rebooted and got a DHCP address I was able to get back to the web GUI. If I tried to start lighttpd using /etc/rc.d/ix-httpd start, it would tell me it couldn't start because the IP address was already in use. If I did an ifconfig -a, it would show the old IP address (static), but the console was showing the new iP (static). Lighttpd wasn't running, so trying to access the GUI using the old IP wouldn't have worked.

Anyway, bottom line is try doing a factory reset from the console menu.

kaltsoplyn

Cadet
Thanks, but factory resets, fresh installs, reboots, shutdowns etc are all in the daily routine.

Ok, an update.

1. Installed freenas 8 RC2 and 0.7.2.8191 and, again, the same problem. I'm starting to think it's either the router or network card of the server (realtek RTL8110).

2. Used the LiveCD of 0.7.2 on my main pc and, initially, I still had no access to the GUI. So it looks like the router. However, after some restarts of the router and fiddling with the ip settings in the console, I managed to log on to the GUI (using Opera), but I forgot to shut everything down and try again to see if it's repeatable. I'll try again tonight.

3. Back to the server, using just the LiveCD produced no result

4. Using the liveCD in a computer at work, the GUI was rendered in Chrome and Firefox, but not Opera (which was the only browser that has ever worked at home!).

Trying to narrow things down, I now stand somewhat more confused than before! :)

As soon as I can, I will try testing my server with other routers at friends' and relatives' houses. If it doesn't work there, but their PCs work ok with the LiveCD, then I'll be blaming the network card (probably).

kaltsoplyn

Cadet
Ok, it must be some hardware issue with my server pc; probably the NIC.
My other PC works every time with the LiveCD or with my CF installation. Just switching the cable to the server doesn't work, no matter what I do with the network settings, factory resets and so on. In fact every PC I have tried on the LiveCD works. It seems like I decided to make a server out of the only computer in my hometown that doesn't work, which is kind of ironic. :)

kaltsoplyn

Cadet
yeap, it was the NIC.

Switched to an old, 100Mbps, 3Com PCI and all worked flawlessly, AFTER I disabled the onboard LAN from the BIOS.

C'mon, what is this?!? I know the Realtec works as an ethernet card; I've test it with XP for a week and even freenas was getting an IP and pinged happily all around. How can it have a webGUI rendering problem? it doesn't make any sense for me!

Anyway, do you guys think there should be a note in the compatibility list for the RTL8110?

BrokenSpring

Cadet
Im running Freenas v8.0.1 and have a similar problem.
The NAS is working as it should serving files and all that, but no matter what i try or restart i can't get into the web-gui.

Would love to know how to fix this.

Tekkie

Patron
Code:
2011-10-26 05:10:23: (mod_fastcgi.c.2699) FastCGI-stderr: Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flup-1.0.2-py2.7.egg/flup/server/fcgi_base.py", line 558, in run
    protocolStatus, appStatus = self.server.handler(self)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/flup-1.0.2-py2.7.egg/flup/server/fcgi_base.py", line 1118, in handler
    result = self.application(environ, start_response)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/wsgi.py", line 272, in __call__
    response = self.get_response(request)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 169, in get_response
    response = self.handle_uncaught_exception(request, resolver, sys.exc_info())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py", line 214, in handle_uncaught_exception
    if resolver.urlconf_module is None:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/core/urlresolvers.py", line 274, in _get_urlconf_module
    self._urlconf_module = import_module(self.urlconf_name)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/utils/importlib.py", line 35, in import_module
    __import__(name)
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/urls.py", line 38, in <module>
    navtree.auto_generate()
  File "/usr/local/www/freenasUI/freeadmin/navtree.py", line 298, in auto_generate
    for e in qs:
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 107, in _result_iter
    self._fill_cache()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 772, in _fill_cache
    self._result_cache.append(self._iter.next())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/query.py", line 273, in iterator
    for row in compiler.results_iter():
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py", line 680, in results_iter
    for rows in self.execute_sql(MULTI):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/models/sql/compiler.py", line 735, in execute_sql
    cursor.execute(sql, params)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django/db/backends/sqlite3/base.py", line 234, in execute
    return Database.Cursor.execute(self, query, params)
DatabaseError: no such column: sharing_cifs_share.cifs_inheritowner

Is what is causing my Unhandled Expection error in the UI... now how to fix this apparently missing column?

gkol

Cadet
I have experienced some problems with the web interface i use 0.7.1 freenas version and dont know if is the same bug reported here n solved but looks simmilar, so i ask sorry in advance in case i repeat the same.So what is the deal:I can log in to my web interface but is not displaying the full menu(just System.Advanced,Help are diplayed and is MISSING the Network,Disks... and all the rest).Is like i dont sign in as administrator or something,but i put the right admin password.I recentrly changed password to the server from where the freenas server is taking the back-up so i am thinking this might be the issue.Any help would be really appreciated,i canot connect a monitor to the freenas server so connecting the disks to another pc may be the only option(hope that would not affect the disks synchronization).Factory reset sounds like a solution but this is down from the command line?would tha mean i loose all the data saved?

Stephens

Patron
Sounds like you want the NAS4Free Forums, not FreeNas. These forums are for FreeNAS 8.x, which is a different product from FreeNAS 7.x.

NASA

Explorer
Why are you using a crossover cable between your computer and your router? Most router/switches built during the last ten years have auto-sense on their switch ports and will thus automatically correct for a reversal if it is necessary. I hardly ever use DHCP anymore: I assign fixed addresses to all of my equipment and I assigned a fixed address to my freeNAS hardware via my IPMI console interface when I first booted it up. I don't know if this will fix your problem, but I found it does make the initial freeNAS setup less problematic.

gkol

Cadet
Thanks for the quick response. DHCP is something that i can't change here,but yes IPMI sounds like a good solution.I checkd the FreeNas forum and couldn't find anything similar to my problem over there,i guess i ll have to post a new thread there.Anyway thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.