Help (if possible / or Feature request) setting up Physical Drive as VM, graphics switching.

sheldonCoop

Cadet
Hello,

I am trying to create a dual bootable ZFS NAS ITX box using 7 x 3.5" hard drives as a ZFS storage pool, as the system starts, loads an additional M.2 1TB physical disk (already installed with Windows 10) as a guest Virtual machine at startup. Windows will see the ZFS pool as a network share, I will be able to utilize Windows and have the reliability of the ZFS file system, ZFS will have direct access to the hardware. I will also be able to keep Windows independent from the FreeNAS/Linux/ BSD configuration and storage.

I wish to have my only PCIe slot dedicated to the Windows Virtual machine through GPU passthrough at startup. Box will always appear as a Windows machine on a given output. I hope the have the FreeNAS graphics switch from my main Nvidia card to a mini PCIe Graphics Adapter (Silicon Motion SM750), assigning USB ports to their respective systems, being able to administer through the web interface and locally by switching inputs on my monitor and swapping the USB dongle and using the mPCIE as FreeNAS display output.

Tinkering through FreeNAS for the first time it doesn't look like using a physical disk VM is an option, let alone any of the others I wish to configure. FreeNAS utilizes bhyve to manage VMs, is bhyve configurable in this way? Is graphics able to be configured as described? If not, can anyone recommend a software solution? Can anything be developed for FreeNAS? I can't even get the mPCIE Card (although hardware is recognized in Linux and Windows) to display any output. New to graphics switching (integrated graphics?) and Linux/BSD/FreeNAS in general.

Thank you.

Hardware:
Silverstone DS380B
AsRock Rack X99E-ITX/ac
Xeon 6 Core 3.2 Ghz Processor
Nvidia GTX 1060 ITX
32 GB ECC Memory
1TB M.2 Storage Device
7 x 3.5" Hard Drives
Innodisk EMPV-1201 mPCIe HDMI Graphics Adapter (Silicon Motion SM750)

blueether

Patron
A couple of points and thoughts, but I'm no FreeNAS or VM expert

* FreeNAS doesn't need display output
* ESXi may be the best bet and virtulise FreeNAS as well? Boot ESXi off a USB drive?

pschatz100

Guru
Your setup sounds very complicated. Why are you doing this? What do you expect to accomplish.