Freenas 7 to Freenas latest, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maniac618

Cadet
Hi all,

I have Freenas 7 running off of a memory stick in my HP Proliant microserver.

I would like to upgrade to Freenas latest version.

I have 10TB of RAIDz 2 ZFS that I need to move with it to the latest version intact.

Is there any way that I can do this?

Thanks for any help.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
You don't. FreeNAS 7 was replaced with NAS4Free.

If you want to go to the new FreeNAS 8+ project you have to install the OS and import your pools. Do see our documentation for hardware requirements because they are pretty steep compared to FreeNAS 7.

maniac618

Cadet
Sorry, I am a bit confused as I haven't checked anything since setting up FreeNAS 7.....

How come there is a NAS4Free which is separate from FreeNAS? What is the difference between the two, and which one should I be switching to?

Thanks for the info.

maniac618

Cadet
Just did some research and will probably migrate to WHS to save me hassle. Thanks for the info above.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Just did some research and will probably migrate to WHS to save me hassle. Thanks for the info above.

Former WHS and WHS 2011 user here.

Trust me, the hassle is much greater with WHS 2011. Data safety is also much lower.

danb35

Hall of Famer
iXSystems bought the FreeNAS name and wrote a whole new code base to go with it. Development of the original FreeNAS code base was later restarted under the name of NAS4Free. Both are FreeBSD-based NAS solutions which can use ZFS volumes, but that's about where the similarity ends. If you do FreeNAS right (which includes appropriate hardware), your data will be very safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.