update netdata to latest version? (v1.8.0 -> v1.10.0)

shumi

Dabbler
Hello,

running FreeNAS-11.1-U4, with netdata version 1.8.0.
is there a way to upgrade to the latest version of netdata (latest release - 1.10.0)? or update the binary file manually?

Cheers,

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 11.27.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 11.27.50 AM.png
    46 KB · Views: 559

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser

SecCon

Contributor
Sorry for bumping this but it seems relevant again... Netdata is up to version 1.11 (https://github.com/netdata/netdata/releases) and we are running 1.10.
No, I don't have a redmin account, this should just work, in my humble opinion, either that or remove the Self Update dialogue you have available in Netdata.

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't have a redmin account
Then register for one. Or don't complain that the software doesn't meet your expectations.

SecCon

Contributor
Frankly I don't care, Netdata is nice, but not a must have . There is a newer version. Netdata has an update function that do not work within FreeNAS. Either you keep updating it manually within the FreeNAS releases, or you consider making the Netdata Update function work. I do not know what is best, but long term the latter seems more relevant...

SecCon

Contributor

AVSION

Contributor
Hi Guys,

I just started to use netdata and like to add more plugins such as freeipmi for tmp...etc however it is available by default from version 1.12 i read that it can be installed manually by pkg or ports. pkg is disabled by default and i cant find tutorial for ports. i also not sure if pkg or ports is the right path as i prefer it to be working with the same FN installation. any insights on this matter how it can be done while we waiting? i totally understand FreeNAS policy and posted on jira to see if any news regarding netdata and yes i'm using FN UI sensors to monitor my system.

Thank you

danb35

Hall of Famer
i also not sure if pkg or ports is the right path
Neither is the right path; the right path is to leave it alone--FreeNAS is an appliance and isn't intended to have you tinkering with parts of it.

Mastakilla

Patron
Neither is the right path; the right path is to leave it alone--FreeNAS is an appliance and isn't intended to have you tinkering with parts of it.
Do I understand it correctly that netdata 1.10 is part of FreeNAS 11.2 U7 and that I'm not supposed to try to upgrade it to netdata 1.19? And that netdata 1.19 is perhaps part of 11.3 beta or something like that?

Mastakilla

Patron
ah ok... What is the proper way to check resource usage under FreeNAS then?

Because the dashboard doesn't work on FreeNAS 11.2 U6 and U7 (every item, except for the first, keeps on loading without displaying anything).
And netdata 1.10 keeps on reporting an alert regarding RAM usage (supposed to be a known bug).

blueether

Patron
Dashboards have been re-written from what I've read, in the beta they seem to work here in a VM