FreeNAS 11 Virtual Machines not booting ISO

Cons3nce

Cadet
Just updated from 9.3 to 11 so I could use the VM option for a Windows VM. When I go to boot and connect with VNC, it cannot boot from the Windows ISO. I know for sure that the ISO is working normally. Any ideas?

johnwaters

Cadet
Just updated from 9.3 to 11 so I could use the VM option for a Windows VM. When I go to boot and connect with VNC, it cannot boot from the Windows ISO. I know for sure that the ISO is working normally. Any ideas?
Same with me. It seems like a pretty simple concept but does literally nothing after defining the devices and starting the VM. I'm thinking about trying a nightly.....

shamo316

Dabbler
windows 10 iso is working for me I've made 2 vms. It must has a uefi boot iso

Jim Nevins

Dabbler
I'm having the same issue (Win7 64-bit and WinServer 2012) win7 loads, but won't complete the install. says the installation can't continue, due to a hardware incompatibility...

Jim Nevins

Dabbler
@johnwaters , I followed that youtube to a TEE, still a no go.

johnwaters

Cadet
Unable to get 12 isos and counting working. There must be a little mistake somewhere.....

Jim Nevins

Dabbler
agreed...I'm chatting with "Unboxing Addict" @ Youtube about this very subject. He's mentioning something about the BIOS being misconfigured....He's gonna produce a tutorial on this and post it on Youtube

johnwaters

Cadet
agreed...I'm chatting with "Unboxing Addict" @ Youtube about this very subject. He's mentioning something about the BIOS being misconfigured....He's gonna produce a tutorial on this and post it on Youtube

THIS is what I thought. Is he indicating that we should've used uefi instead of bios when we first installed it? I did in fact use bios.

Jim Nevins

Dabbler
I'm not sure. I've always used UEFI with my VM's. I"m wondering if he's ensuing BIOS configuration on the actual FreeNAS box itself.

johnwaters

Cadet
I originally installed my OS as legacy (bios) but rebuilt it last night with UEFI. It made no difference getting virtual machines to work. The processor is also up to spec according to unboxing addict's instructions.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong here.

shamo316

Dabbler

shamo316

Dabbler
I just tried it. What I get from VNC:

'The connection was refused by the computer'

Change your VNC video quality to medium and see if that works

Jim Nevins

Dabbler
I just installed the eval copy of server 2016 without issue. Not sure why this works and not the others..... Also, I tried installing Ubuntu 17.04 and it failed as well. FYI, I'm running VNC video quality at medium as well, this seemed to fix VNC connectivity issues..

johnwaters

Cadet
I knew it was something on my part.

When creating the VM I put '4' in instead of 4,000 - mistook Mb for Gb.

Now working. Thanks for the folks who attempted to answer anyway. Hopefully archived for future goofups.