FreeNAS 11-Stable to 11.2-Stable - bhyve jails?

alexhore

Explorer
Been avoiding the upgrade for years since my intel CPU does not support EPT so the bhyve jails were a no-go. Later I checked back and there was talk of supporting iocage and a new UI but everything was still a little beta. I’m now under the impression 11.2 Stable is indeed stable so…

Wondering does iocage use bhyve or need EPT?
Wondering if all the plugins below or forks of them are available?
Be nice to know of any monumental issues I might face?

Plex
Transmission
Nextcloud
SickRage
CouchPotato

I would destroy all the warden plugins and create fresh.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Iocage has nothing to do with virtual machines. And bhyve doesn't have anything to do with jails other than it typically being run in a jail. So, if your CPU is modern enough to run FreeNAS 11 and it's just missing the couple of things bhyve needs to support guests that boot in Real Mode (i.e. anything that doesn't boot from UEFI), jails have always been and will continue to be a perfectly valid option (better than VMs for most cases where they work, too).
Except now you don't have to hold your nostrils closed with one hand while using Warden with the other. Iocage seems to be much better.

alexhore

Explorer
Great stuff, something at the time must have confused me. Not sure if it was an upgrade from 9 to 10 and at the time there was talk of plugins being in docker using bhyve. Anyway, thanks for confirming I now have an excuse to play with something that isn’t broke :eek::D

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That would have been it. Corral was to drop jails as an official feature in favor of Dockery in VMs.