11.1 migrate jails to iocage

Status
Not open for further replies.

timypcr

Dabbler
I upgraded from FreeNAS 9.10 to 11.1-stable and I’m having trouble with the iocage migration. Maybe I should have just went to 11.2-stable and if that will fix this issue let me know. This is what we are working with.
After the upgrade I updated the ZFS pool to add the features per the prompts. All the jails were running and could be controlled by warden but not isocage. The first jail I tried to migrate was a test git server running Gogs (jail name repo) which was also working after the 11.1 update under warden.

I stopped the jail
warden stop repo
and ran the script

Code:
cd /usr/local/sbin

Code:
migrate_warden.py -j repo -p pool_name

everything reported ok
Code:
 jls
command showed two jails running, so I turned the warden one off
Code:
warden stop repo

Not sure why the services in the new iocage jail are not coming up.
I also tried
Code:
iocage stop repo; iocage set bpf=yes repo; iocage start repo
per the advice of someone in IRC still no dice

Here is a copy of iocage get all repo, I consoled in via iocage and verified that the IP was correct and I could ping it from with in the jail (but not from the host) I ran

https://gist.github.com/timypcr/3cccc0fcdccfc985c8b325412796c7cb

any help would be great

tim

diskdiddler

Wizard
Honestly I'd just switch to 11.2 now.

timypcr

Dabbler
Honestly I'd just switch to 11.2 now.
and do you think as part of the upgrade process the jails will be migrated automatically or will I still need to run the script? my concern is the remaining jails other two jails on this box which are currently being supported by warden are hosting production services.

Also does 11.2 removes warden completely or just officially drop support for warden?

Thanks for your prompt response!

diskdiddler

Wizard

danb35

Hall of Famer

diskdiddler

Wizard
Because he wants to work with iocage and the beta is quite stable

diskdiddler

Wizard
I made a mistake recommending 11.2 anyhow, I can own up to it.

The file deletion bug is pretty scary for system stability. Lesson learnt.
(Admitedly mine isn't going over, every time files are deleted, it seems inconsistent, but it has gone over at least 3 or 4 times now in the past month)

marcevan

Patron
I tried 11.2 BETA3 now, on the note that you can upgrade from 11.1 U6 to it... nope. Zero automation of warden jails over to IOCage jails and I really don't have the time to have my 4 plugins not running and manually set them up and redo storage, permissions, directories, etc.

I'll wait until the 11.2 STABLE train is actually STABLE not BETAs and includes a migration of warden to IOCage

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'll wait until the 11.2 STABLE train is actually STABLE not BETAs
That sounds like a good idea, if you're planning on putting anything important there.
and includes a migration of warden to IOCage
Are you expecting that this will happen automatically as part of the upgrade? Because I don't think that's part of the plan. The migration script is there, and maybe it will see some updates, but I don't expect to ever see it happen "behind the scenes".

marcevan

Patron
If they don't provide a very automated migration during an upgrade then the upgrade is not ready for production system. (I'm thinking of my car getting a firmware upgrade to it's navigation and stereo but then they leave the engine out after being done).

I know nothing about "the migration script is there", not in any sense of "where" or "script" is or exists where.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If they don't provide a very automated migration during an upgrade then the upgrade is not ready for production system.
Then I don't think you're going to consider it "ready for production system" for quite some time, if ever.
I know nothing about "the migration script is there", not in any sense of "where" or "script" is or exists where.
The link's already been posted in this thread:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/warden-to-iocage-migration-script-some-quick-tips-for-others.68597/

8-bit Yoda

Explorer
If they don't provide a very automated migration during an upgrade then the upgrade is not ready for production system. (I'm thinking of my car getting a firmware upgrade to it's navigation and stereo but then they leave the engine out after being done).

Were your old warden jail broken? It's nearly impossible to implement a one-size-fits-all solution to migrate all the 3rd party software that was installed and configured in jails.
To stick with you analogy: You move to a new house and complain you still have the same old car parked in the new garage. Similarly: If you upgrade your desktop OS, your old printer may not longer be supported.

marcevan

Patron
Jails were fine; all plugin based: SickRage, Plex, Emby, and Transmission.

If plugins/jails aren't migrated to the new system, then FreeNAS has failed me and I'll move over to something else.

You've butchered the analogy. No one's moving to a new house here; we are on the same server, same disks, same boot USB, but oh, all the functionality that exists is really the plugins. Not upgrading that with the rest of the application is not acceptable.

marcevan

Patron
Yeah, but no functionality. Plugins are the functionality we use here. No plugin migrations....goodbye!

danb35

Hall of Famer
I don't care if you stay or go--but if the plugins are working now, they'll continue to work. They don't need to be migrated to iocage to keep running.

marcevan

Patron
I tried an 11.2. BETA3 and it came up with zero existing jails or plugins installed. That's when I knew there would be issues so I booted back to 11.1U6.

The links for the scripts are more geared to 9.x to 11.x so don't speak to "WHEN" one should run those...e.g., in 11.1U6 before upgrading to 11.2 or after the 11.2BETA3 is run.

danb35

Hall of Famer
it came up with zero existing jails or plugins installed.
They will show in the legacy GUI, not in the new GUI. It's been discussed extensively here already. They're still there and running.

marcevan

Patron
Well, patience is a virtue so here's my iocage list:

Code:
+-----+-------------------+-------+--------------+--------------+			   
| JID |	   NAME		| STATE |   RELEASE	|	 IP4	  |			   
+=====+===================+=======+==============+==============+			   
| 7   | emby_1			| up	| 11.0-RELEASE | 192.168.1.45 |			   
| 10  | plexmediaserver_2 | up	| 11.0-RELEASE | 192.168.1.41 |			   
| 8   | sickrage_1		| up	| 9.3-RELEASE  | 192.168.1.43 |			   
| 9   | transmission_1	| up	| 9.3-RELEASE  | 192.168.1.46 |			   

So I guess now, that I can upgrade 11.1U6 to 11.2BETA3 and these will be there in jails and plugins?

Status
Not open for further replies.