FreeNAS 11 permission issue with Plex Server. Meta data and posters not updating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sure this question has been asked hundreds of times before but I can’t seem to find the proper answer.

I’m running Plex server off FreeNas 11 and the meta data is not being updated. I know it’s some sort of permission issue. I resolved it once by playing around but for the life of me I don’t know what I did. Then I broke it again.

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around owner/group/other permissions. If I play too much with those I eventually kill the server altogether and have to re-install it to restore the original permissions.

I tried to recursively change the permission on the /var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Metadata to 777 but that does nothing.

From the debug log it looks like the Metadata is downloaded (If I’m reading it right). It’s just not written to the database.

Any guess?

Thanks!

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Don't change permissions in the jail, as you've discovered it breaks things.

Don't change permissions in the jail, as you've discovered it breaks things.
Well something is not set right by default. I fixed it before by playing with permissions though I did some other things as well. I redid everything I remembered the same but I'm missing something and I'm pretty sure that is a permission issue.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Generally metadata in plex not loading is a networking issue. Make sure you have a default gateway listed in the GUI.

NasKar

Guru
I think the problem with metadata is related to a setting in Plex. I reinstalled Plex from scratch and couldn't get the metadata to refresh so therefore I had no thumbnails. It was fixed by changing Settings/Agents/Shows/TheTVDB/ and drag Local Media Assets (TV) to the bottom of the list. You can do a similar thing for the other types as well. I don't know why the setting is messed up out of the box as it used to work fine with a fresh install. Hope this helps.

I think the problem with metadata is related to a setting in Plex. I reinstalled Plex from scratch and couldn't get the metadata to refresh so therefore I had no thumbnails. It was fixed by changing Settings/Agents/Shows/TheTVDB/ and drag Local Media Assets (TV) to the bottom of the list. You can do a similar thing for the other types as well. I don't know why the setting is messed up out of the box as it used to work fine with a fresh install. Hope this helps.
Nop, Tried that already as well. You can also select which on you use if you go under the library/edit/advanced and select the agent.

NasKar

Guru
If you want to try creating plex in an iocage jail you can try my script and then adjust the Agents as mentioned earlier.

I fixed it by changing the mount point. I was setting up the storage to be under
/var/db/plexdata/Plex Media Server/Media which I created which I think was causing the problem. I moved it down to the existing /media folder and that seem to have fixed the problem. It was probably some permission issue with the folder I created.

Status
Not open for further replies.