Plex Permission problem

xboost

Dabbler
I had to copy some files to \iocage\jails\plex\root\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins and to do so I gave a user 777 permissions recursively on the entire pool. (I stopped the jail before file transfer) Now I can't reach my plex server. (ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED when I go to the IP address). I think I screwed up something to do with permissions but I have no idea what, and I don't know how to fix it. Please help.

garm

Wizard
You set a user recursive permissions on the entire pool?

garm

Wizard
By giving a random user recursive ownership of an entire pool you nuked it in effect. Destroy your pool and start over, and don’t do any system wide changes again without first creating a snapshot of the affected filesystem.

xboost

Dabbler
By giving a random user recursive ownership of an entire pool you nuked it in effect. Destroy your pool and start over, and don’t do any system wide changes again without first creating a snapshot of the affected filesystem.
I can't do that. My setup is new but the pool is years old with 8 TB of important data.

garm

Wizard
If the pool is years old, how come you haven’t had time to take any snapshots? They litteraly take seconds to make..

fracai

Guru
setting recursive permissions on the pool didn't "nuke" the pool. The plex plugin is not worth saving, so recreate that, but your data is still fine.

Keep the old jail and compare the permissions of the Plex configuration and library database and you can probably restore those files with corrected permissions.

And turn on snapshots.

garm

Wizard
System dataset have permission correction built in? What about all the other data, on my server at least I have dedicated users for different web services, databases and shares. If I would recursively set a new owner to the pool I would have litterly days of work to restore the permissions.

And it leads me also to the initial statement by OP, what situation did you find yourself to feel the need to set the permissions like this? Root have full access regardless of permissions.

xboost

Dabbler
If the pool is years old, how come you haven’t had time to take any snapshots? They litteraly take seconds to make..
Made a fresh install of FreeNAS a few days ago due to a problem in updating 11.0 to 11.2. I have a snapshot from a week ago but it contains the older jails, which means I will lose a lot of plugins. I didn't setup jails yet after the upgrade to 11.2

The plex plugin is not worth saving, so recreate that, but your data is still fine.

Keep the old jail and compare the permissions of the Plex configuration and library database and you can probably restore those files with corrected permissions.
It took days to download the metadata for my media, is there a way for me to save them? It was a huge pain to get plex to download them (requiring me to click download metadata on all of my media, watch and wait about 10 mins per movie, and move on to the next one, since Plex refuses to do it automatically even when I tell it to do it for the entire library). If not, is the current setup saveable?

And it leads me also to the initial statement by OP, what situation did you find yourself to feel the need to set the permissions like this? Root have full access regardless of permissions.
I am already logged in to a user account on my computer, and it felt quicker to change permissions, than to log out from the current account, and log in to root. Obviously this was a huge mistake.

garm

Wizard
For the love of god, read the manual.
Don’t expose your entire system with SMB..
Plex has migrations instructions on their support site..
The snapshots you have are valid, they aren’t dependent on the FreeNAS install, they are pool based.. roll back to a date before the move. Install a fresh FreeNAS 11.2U1 and load the configuration from your earlier installation.

Then set up a new jail for plex, make a snapshot just after installation. Dump the database or what ever plex tells you to do and migrate your old instance to your new jail. Take another snapshot when you are done with that. Now you set up media folders and permissions per the guides here on the forum. Do not set 777 system wide!!

Do all this from an SSH consol, you can ssh from Windows CMD or cmder by installing WSL on Windows 10. Earlier versions should really be updated, but if you right out refuse you can use PuTTY or an equivalent.