FreeNAS 11/11.1 vms hang at GRUB boot menu during boot....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sesipod

Contributor
Let me know if this has been discussed before and I can remove this post.

When I start my vm or reboot any of my Debian 9.0 vms they always hang at the Blue GRUB menu.
If I open up VNC I can press enter to start the boot process or just wait for about 4 seconds and it will boot. But the vm will not boot unless I open VNC.

fetch.php

I did fix the efui boot process on all of the vms by doing the following. Maybe I missed something?
Code:
cd /boot/efi/EFI
mkdir BOOT
cd debian
cp grubx64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi

KrisBee

Wizard
Do you still have "wait to boot" checked in your VM's VNC device?

sesipod

Contributor
Do you still have "wait to boot" checked in your VM's VNC device?

Wait to boot is (not) ticked in any of the vms VNC device. :confused:

KrisBee

Wizard
Just thought I'd ask. Not seen this behaviour myself, but then I'm not using ESXI and my debian VMs run in text-mode. Do yours run in graphical mode? What about removing the VNC device and installing vnc & ssh on the VM itself?

sesipod

Contributor
Just thought I'd ask. Not seen this behaviour myself, but then I'm not using ESXI and my debian VMs run in text-mode. Do yours run in graphical mode? What about removing the VNC device and installing vnc & ssh on the VM itself?

I'm not using ESXI in this current environment - I'm using Bhyve vms under FreeNAS 11.1 on dedicated hardware with FreeNAS sitting directly on the hardware. All of my vms are running non gui what would be called server mode. None of my vms have a gui.

D

dlavigne

It wouldn't hurt to create a report at bugs.freenas.org. If you do, post the issue number here.

KrisBee

Wizard
If I open up VNC I can press enter to start the boot process or just wait for about 4 seconds and it will boot. But the vm will not boot unless I open VNC.

After reading the OP again when I'm awake, isn't this just the normal default grub boot delay of 4s? Just set it to zero in your VM's grub config if you want to. Isn't this normal linux grub boot behaviour not any kind of bug?

sesipod

Contributor
After reading the OP again when I'm awake, isn't this just the normal default grub boot delay of 4s? Just set it to zero in your VM's grub config if you want to. Isn't this normal linux grub boot behaviour not any kind of bug?

A vm could be stuck here for hrs unless I open the VNC then wait the 4 seconds or press enter.
If I reboot FreeNAS / or reboot a vm they will not pass the GRUB boot menu. I have waited 10m - 20m - 1hr for boot up. It shows that they are running but will not boot unless I open up the VNC and physically look at the Blue GRUB screen wait 4 seconds or just press enter to boot.

amiskell

Patron
A vm could be stuck here for hrs unless I open the VNC then wait the 4 seconds or press enter.
If I reboot FreeNAS / or reboot a vm they will not pass the GRUB boot menu. I have waited 10m - 20m - 1hr for boot up. It shows that they are running but will not boot unless I open up the VNC and physically look at the Blue GRUB screen wait 4 seconds or just press enter to boot.

You must have wait to boot set for the VM. It forces bhyve to wait until you connect via VNC to actually power on the virtual machine. It's only really helpful when you are installing the OS for the first time, after that, it's best to disable it.

KrisBee

Wizard
You must have wait to boot set for the VM. It forces bhyve to wait until you connect via VNC to actually power on the virtual machine. It's only really helpful when you are installing the OS for the first time, after that, it's best to disable it.

Is asked that q at #2 above ... answer was no.

amiskell

Patron
Is asked that q at #2 above ... answer was no.

It seems the wait for vnc is still being passed to bhyve as it's the only command line option that would force the VM to wait for a VNC connection to start the boot sequence.

I also use bhyve on plain FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE with iohyve and vm-bhyve as well and only see this issue when that option is passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.