SOLVED FreeNAS 11.1 Down: Shared object "libpython3.6m.so.1.0" not found, required by "python"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gameoffuture

Cadet
Hello

I have updated to FreeNAS 11.1 via the webGUI update and initially it seemed to work fine. However today I found all shares to be inaccessible, and the server is not responding to PING and WebUI and SSH is also down.

Hooked up a monitor to the system and I see the following:
Code:
FreeBSD/amd64 (freenas) (ttyv0)
Shared object "libpython3.6m.so.1.0" not found, required by "python"
... init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/ttyv0, sleeping 30secs

I'm not sure what is going on here. it seems like I get the same thing even trying to boot into single user mode, however at least after several times the above message is displayed it does give me the shell prompt.

How can I recover from this?

gameoffuture

Cadet
well... I ended up reinstalling this from scratch and restoring the settings. Replaced the USB key with new one for good measure... I wonder what caused it... really weird.

It took the good part of the day since I had to burn the image to CD (yea... I still have some of those hanging around), find an IDE DVD ROM drive to boot from, and do everything from scratch... USB2.0 on old Core2 Duo is really slow... testament to many years of service this system and FreeNAS has provided me. Hopefully no more software issues, it's a real pain to do this.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
A lot of USB keys are prone to failure after ${some-random-qualifier} use. There is an option to use two USB keys in a redundant mirror for the boot device, which significantly reduces (but not eliminates) these issues. Using a SATADOM or an SSD (or mirrored SATADOM or mirrored SSD) is also a great idea. Basically it just comes down to the fact that USB keys are made cheaply and aren't too reliable.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
well... I ended up reinstalling this from scratch and restoring the settings. Replaced the USB key with new one for good measure... I wonder what caused it... really weird.

It took the good part of the day since I had to burn the image to CD (yea... I still have some of those hanging around), find an IDE DVD ROM drive to boot from, and do everything from scratch... USB2.0 on old Core2 Duo is really slow... testament to many years of service this system and FreeNAS has provided me. Hopefully no more software issues, it's a real pain to do this.
The problem you described sounds like a failed boot drive. Looks like you got it straight through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.