FreeNAS 11.0-U2 is Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Radel

Cadet
It seems to be hardware related. My 2nd test box, that I've installed 11 fresh, took the U2 update fine.

Only other thought I've had about differences that might be an issue: The Pentium 4 box with the problem was migrated from 9.10 a while back, and the data disks don't have the ZFS features updated yet. The L5640 box without issues was a fresh install into 11.0-U1 recently, and is the latest of everything.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
The Pentium 4 box with the problem was migrated from 9.10 a while back, and the data disks don't have the ZFS features updated yet. The L5640 box without issues was a fresh install into 11.0-U1 recently, and is the latest of everything.

On my box (no issues with the 11.0-U2 update, based on a Supermicro A1SAi-2750F Avoton board) I didn't carry out the FreeNAS 11.0 ZFS feature flag upgrade so far. FreeNAS upgrade history is rather long (FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201412090314 -> ... -> FreeNAS-9.10-RELEASE -> ... -> FreeNAS-9.10.2-U5 -> FreeNAS-11.0-RELEASE -> FreeNAS-11.0-U1 -> FreeNAS-11.0-U2).

Stux

MVP

Stux

MVP
In my case, very sure. I fell back to 11.0-U1, and all worked fine. I then did a GUI upgrade to U2 and I'm back to the broken Grub configuration.

Just updated my backup box (old Core 2 Quad). Update worked fine, BUT, it did restart twice during the install process. I watched the console during the process and it looked like it was doing something to the GRUB installation I think, saw stuff about fgrep, and various partitions etc, seemed to be rewriting the boot loader info... and then it removed the "failed installation" sentinel and rebooted.

If that process had screwed up, or was buggy, that would probably cause a dead boot.

BUT it worked fine.

diedrichg

Wizard
I've had zero upgrade issues since 9.3 when I moved to mirrored 16GB SATADOMs.

I've been having issues with trying to upgrade from FreeNAS 11.0-U1 to U2 as well. Initially, tried the regular upgrade and it was hanging at 20% on installing the base-os (similar to what agent_kith had). It rebooted and got to the command menu, but it wasn't accepting keyboard input for the options (e.g., 9 for the shell), unable to access it via web GUI or SSH. I rebooted back into 11.0-U1 without issue, deleted the U2 boot environment and tried the same thing to no avail. Afterwards, I tried to do a manual update with the tar and got the following:

YFimRpQ.png

Any ideas on how to go about the upgrade? System specs are below:

Dell Poweredge R530
Intel Xeon E5-2603 v3
16GB RAM

Some more info will be needed I am sure. How many previous boot environments are there and what is the install media would be a good start. If you are using flash drives they may be starting to get full or have an error when installing is my first guess. I could be wrong but I would start there.

Could try removing some really old boot environments or may even want to grab two new flash drives and install a fresh copy of FreeNAS on them and then import your config and go that route.

Someone else may have a better idea exactly what is happening though.

Some more info will be needed I am sure. How many previous boot environments are there and what is the install media would be a good start. If you are using flash drives they may be starting to get full or have an error when installing is my first guess. I could be wrong but I would start there.

Could try removing some really old boot environments or may even want to grab two new flash drives and install a fresh copy of FreeNAS on them and then import your config and go that route.

Someone else may have a better idea exactly what is happening though.

Including the 11.0-U1 boot env., there's 6 (default, initial-install, 9.10.2-U4, 9.10.2-U5, 11.0-RELEASE). As far as the install medium goes, yes, it's a flash drive, but the webGUI indicates that only 3.3GB/14.9GB used.

Like I said it could also have an error. I picked up a couple brand new when I was setting up my daughters 1U and FreeNAS wouldn't even install on the cheapo's The 16GB flash drive that I had used on her previous system would not upgrade but would boot just fine and did not show any errors. Tried a fresh install and it was unable to be written to.

Stux

MVP
Well, Just updated to U2 on my ESXi 6.5 all-in-one box (test)

And it killed the bootloader.

The symptom is that it says "Wecome to grub" and then reboots... and repeat.

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 6.38.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 6.39.05 PM.png

Last edited:

agent_kith

Dabbler
This is one of the disadvantages of using a slow USB Flash Drive, it just takes a long time. Even a SSD took a few minutes to install.
It was never this slow before in 9, and I don't recall 9 to 11 to take more than a few minutes either.

Maybe it was a fluke? Waiting for U3 to time it :D.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

IceBoosteR

Guru

Manini

Dabbler
Same issue here updated from 11.0-U1
boot loop "Welcome to Grub"
Installed on Hardware
Supermicro X10SLM-F

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Installed on Hardware
Supermicro X10SLM-F
So reinstall to new boot devices.

Stux

MVP
Installed on Hardware
Supermicro X10SLM-F

You can fix the boot loop, and preserve all settings by reinstalling to the boot device.

The installer will offer to keep your settings.

I found I had to use the format the device option in order to not have the same issue reoccur.

Last edited:

Manini

Dabbler
You can fix the boot loop, and preserve all settings by reinstalling to the boot device.

The installer will offer to keep your settings.

I found I had to use the format the device option in order to. It have the same issue reoccur.

Worked fine thanks for the tip !

Stux

MVP
Worked fine thanks for the tip !

Yes. I don't think this was a boot device failure... I think there is a bug in the second stage of the install where it reboots and then rewrites the grub config. What happens is after the re-write of the grub config... the next boot (and forever) never works again.

Thing is, once it did that, even if you re-installed, then when you added a mirror the same problem came back... a install with format (which still preserves settings) seems to work fine, but removed the previous boot environments.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to reproduce reliably, otherwise I would bug report it.

Status
Not open for further replies.