FreeNAS 11.0-U2 is Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's out! And here is the data from the Changelog:
Code:
#25142	Bug	   Blocks Until Resolved	FreeBSD Security Advisory FreeBSD-SA-17:05.heimdal for FreeNAS 11
#25126	Bug	   Important				Fix "Upgrade Install" error
#25123	Bug	   Important				Remove (Experimental) from Active Directory Enable Monitoring field and tooltip
#25119	Bug	   No priority			  Samba CVE-2017-11103 for FreeNAS 11.0
#25061	Bug	   Critical				 Traceback if gateway is empty
#24925	Bug	   Nice to have			 Maproot user and group
#24867	Bug	   Expected				 I get a Traceback error when I try to "check now" for Updates
#24323	Feature   Nice to have			 Need Support Ticket UI
#24128	Bug	   Expected				 Cannot assign certificates to ldap via api

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard
Hey guys, update broke my box. Gets to welcome to GRUB and reboots. Don't even get to a point I can boot on the previous environment. That's my back-up/test box, so I might engage reverse and re-install 9.10.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I was able to update my backup unit however I did have an issue with my firewall blocking part of the update (Thanks to Dru for locating the issue) which was odd becasue it never have an issue before so either my firewall changed or FreeNAS changed. I did not have the GRUB issue. I upgraded from 11.0-U1 to U2. So far it's working fine but to be honest, I haven't done much with it. This is an ESXi VM as well.

Installed via the GUI and had zero issues.

melloa

Wizard
I haven't done much with it.

I've noticed that U1 didn't automatically found the upgrade. I forced check and upgrade, but kept rebooting. At least I was able to go back to 9.10, upgrade to 9.10 U5 and import the volume no issue. It is the back-up, so I was planning to nuke the volume if didn't work and re-copy all 12TiB, but didn't need. :)

joeschmuck

Old Man
so I was planning to nuke the volume if didn't work and re-copy all 12TiB, but didn't need. :)
Now that is pure optimism ;)

agent_kith

Dabbler
Can't upgrade from 11.0-U1 to U2. Stuck at this screen:
Stuck_U1_to_U2.png

If I close the dialog, I do see a 11.0 U2 boot environment. But it cannot be activated. Rebooting the box still boots up U1.

Is there a log file I can check to see what's wrong?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
If I close the dialog
Don't do that! It causes undefined behavior. We all hate undefined behavior.

Just wait. And wait. And wait. Aaaaand wait. Oooorrrmm, move to an SSD for the boot device and you won't have to live with this mild annoyance.

agent_kith

Dabbler
Just wait. And wait. And wait. Aaaaand wait. Oooorrrmm, move to an SSD for the boot device and you won't have to live with this mild annoyance.
Absolutely right. :) That 60/20 bar was my second attempt to upgrade (I closed the first one). Left it running and it's stuck for a good 35+ minutes. That's when I posted above. About 5 minutes after that post, the progress bar starts moving again and now my NAS box is in U2 environment.

Talk about bad timing. :D

Thanks Eric..

melloa

Wizard
On upgrades I just leave the tab open and then fire up a movie on plex or go to bed and then in the morning I usually have a message saying to reboot to activate the new version which I do after checking in the boot tab that it does actually have the updated set as "On Reboot"

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Hey guys, update broke my box. Gets to welcome to GRUB and reboots.

Are you sure that this is not caused by a broken boot medium?

hervon

Patron
Upgrade from U1 went fine here. A few minutes before the update, one of the 5 drives in my pool (ZFS2) failed. So it came close to make me consider (wrongly) that the update broke my pool!

melloa

Wizard
Are you sure that this is not caused by a broken boot medium?

Yes, I am. I'm using a SanDisk SSD. Just reinstalled 9.10, upgraded to U5, imported volume and am up and running.

lazybones

Dabbler
Upgrade went fine for me, only that it rebooted twice. Not really sure why, I guess it didn't find the upgrade first.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

joeschmuck

Old Man
Can't upgrade from 11.0-U1 to U2. Stuck at this screen:
Stuck_U1_to_U2.png

If I close the dialog, I do see a 11.0 U2 boot environment. But it cannot be activated. Rebooting the box still boots up U1.

Is there a log file I can check to see what's wrong?
This is one of the disadvantages of using a slow USB Flash Drive, it just takes a long time. Even a SSD took a few minutes to install.

If 35+ minute updates are normal for you then might I suggest something different to try next time... Download the manual update tar file and perform a manual update. This will save you on the download time during the update process. Installing the packages would not be any faster. It's just something to think about.

Jon Radel

Cadet
Hey guys, update broke my box. Gets to welcome to GRUB and reboots. Don't even get to a point I can boot on the previous environment. That's my back-up/test box, so I might engage reverse and re-install 9.10.

Ditto; tried it twice now. It appears to destroy the Grub configuration on the boot devices. I was upgrading from 11.0-U1 in my case.

And yes, while the first time I probably induced undefined behavior, the second time I migrated to U1 from a CD boot, reformatted the two boot devices, logged into the GUI, did a GUI upgrade to U2, and then waited very patiently for FreeNAS to finish the upgrade and reboot all by itself. Still get only as far as Welcome to GRUB!

Last edited:

melloa

Wizard
In my case, very sure. I fell back to 11.0-U1, and all worked fine. I then did a GUI upgrade to U2 and I'm back to the broken Grub configuration.

It seems to be hardware related. My 2nd test box, that I've installed 11 fresh, took the U2 update fine.

Jon Radel

Cadet
It seems to be hardware related. My 2nd test box, that I've installed 11 fresh, took the U2 update fine.

Hmmmm....yes, my 2nd box, which is considerably newer hardware, didn't have any issue (though I think it rebooted itself twice as someone else here noted). But it did a GUI upgrade from 11.0-U1 to 11.0-U2 without any particular drama:

Build FreeNAS-11.0-U2 (e417d8aa5)
Platform Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5640 @ 2.27GHz
Memory 32721MB

Did the hardware requirements suffer from a jump between U1 and U2?

My older box (a Pentium 4) worked fine under U1, but seems to have no end of problems running U2. I tried again with a CD (U1 on the CD) upgrade to recover, this time adding a new boot environment instead of formatting the boot disks. It booted fine into U1, but when I went into the GUI to activate the U2 environment I rendered it unbootable again. I then recovered again, and used the boot environment to choose the U2 environment. It flailed about for a long time doing odd migration like things, and then eventually rebooted into the default U1.

Build FreeNAS-11.0-U1 (aa82cc58d)
Platform Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz
Memory 8150MB

So has some older hardware fallen off the backend with U2?

Status
Not open for further replies.