FreeNAS 10 timeline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
HA! No that grass is real. But we have a severe drought and we will probably only be able to water once a week this summer. I will just pour more concrete I guess.

You are like me. A collector of cars. You should autocross that Miata. There is a HUGE following for those cars. But I am pretty certain you already know that ;)

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
One good thing about being on well water. In 21 years here I have never run out. As for the Miata - that is my wife's car, and my V8 kit / Monster Miata plan was vetoed. But I do get to play with this one...

Attachments

• DSCF4059.JPG
    DSCF4059.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 277

9C1 Newbee

Patron
That is a VERY nice ride as well. Do you race it? What mods have you done? If not, when is it out of warranty?

Seems we have a lot in common. I am going to school (WAY late in life) for a mechanical engineering degree. Maybe I can get into a newer vehicle one day.

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
That is a VERY nice ride as well. Do you race it? What mods have you done? If not, when is it out of warranty?

Seems we have a lot in common. I am going to school (WAY late in life) for a mechanical engineering degree. Maybe I can get into a newer vehicle one day.

No racing. Mods are the stripes and the functional hood / nose that are modeled after the '67 GT350. Only two sets were made - I have one and the other is on a car in San Diego. Lost touch with that guy. Other than making the hood functional the only other mod was to open the mufflers, remove all the baffles and weld them shut. They have a nice deep sound. It is almost 10 years old now, so the warranty is long gone. As I get older, I have lost a little interest in the car stuff now and spending a lot of money so people I don't know can stare at my car and pick it apart at car shows - nah... But, I am really getting into computers and gaming, and I do hardware reviews for an overclocking website. The reviews take a lot of time. I don't get paid, but I get to keep whatever they send me. The other big plan is to build a new home, but my wife wants to move south, and I don't want to build something here and only be in it for a few years, and then move again so I don't know where that will end up.

I would love to go somewhere warm, but California from what I hear is horribly expensive. A lady I worked with came from LA and could live like a king in Indy after selling her small house in LA. She ended up moving back after a divorce, but only earns enough to squeak by in an apartment now. I looked into it a little and to live like I do here, I would have to sell everything I have and cut into most of my savings. Maybe Arizona?

Also - let me add that the Mustang was my first and only new car. It was a great feeling, but after the novelty wore off (and the depreciation, additional taxes and insurance expenses) I realized that if I was smart I would have waited a few years and gotten a used Shelby. I suppose I still can, but I don't have the motivation now.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
That cowl is functional? NICE! There is a hood for 94-96 Caprices/Impala/Wagon that is functional. It is fiberglass and expensive. Not a fan of either one of those. Once you buy it, you must paint and install it as well. But they are very nice. I just don't think it is worth it on a $4000 car. You must have gone to great lengths to get it all sorted. You should market your work. The potential customer base is huge. The 94-96 crowd has a much smaller customer base. The aftermarket is quite lacking.

I would not suggest CA. I hate it here and it will not get better. Sounds like your wife is tired of being cold too. I'd say AZ would be good. I know several people who have moved from here to AZ. I know even more people who moved from CA to TX. I think at the end of the day, a job will let you know where you will go. I think (and I hope it is true) you could find work just about anywhere. The question is pay. I know my bay area buddies make good money. But as you know it costs $$$$$ for things like car registration (how many cars did you say you had?) and lawn paint. Not to mention if you like guns, CA is gonna be a HUGE problem for you. AZ and TX are good to go in that regard.

I understand having a lot on your plate. I have not gone out and raced for a LONG while. While I am going to school it is a struggle just to keep the junkers on the road without the factor of race conditions beating on it. The car is almost old enough to drink. So now my hobbies consist of computer games and this damn think I got involved in called FreeNAS.

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
The hood was made to be functional, but I had to mod the air box. I flipped it over and cut part of the bottom off and made a foam seal to go between the box and the hood. Then the MAF sensor was too short. When I flipped the box, the sensor also flipped 180 so I had to extend the wires to reach - which you can see in the pics.

I think the hood was around $1100 and that included paint. I added the stripes myself. Last I heard was that the guy who made my hood was making hoods for this place.

http://suncoastcreations.com/a-f-m-4/ford-mustang-kr-style-ramair-hood-24012.html

They don't show my hood style anymore. He used to make a slightly different version of mine for SunCoast. I know he made two sets like mine and then stopped before working for SunCoast. But that style in the link was from his mold. I still have pics of the prototype. He offered me that style too, but I like the '67 Shelby look.

As for FreeNAS - I too enjoy playing with it. I am not using the proper hardware, but for the way I use FreeNAS, what I have works fine. At some point I would like to advance to the correct hardware, but for now I can't see the justification for the cost when what I have works.

Attachments

• DSCF6498.JPG
    DSCF6498.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 251
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    515.8 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:

9C1 Newbee

Patron
http://suncoastcreations.com/b-h-1-chevrolet/chevrolet-impala-ramair-hood-21005.html

Yup! That is where we get them too. Just not what I am going for in my cars. If it doesn't allow me to drive faster or harder, I am not interested. Technically the hood could be considered a cold air intake mod. But there are other ways to do it that work about as good for my platform. I also do not like car shows. I drive my junk like I stole it every day. I don't have time for all that other nonsense.

Reusing the stock air box is a great idea. From the pictures, it looks like you did a nice job. Did you notice a performance gain? I know you had to rotate the MAF but is that the stock location? I also had to lengthen my MAF wires for my CAI solution. Moving the MAF closer to the intake manifold provided an added benefit as well. Was the end result a better feel on the ass dyno? This is my CAI solution.

air%20no%20af1.jpg

I also do not like car shows. I drive my junk like I stole it every day. I don't have time for all that other nonsense.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
One of these days I will learn how to attach a picture like you do. LOL

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
The way you have it is really the right way (shortest path - straight line), and there are kits for mine like that, but they would not work with my hood. I originally made an air box from plastic panels and it worked but as I was told, the engine / MAF is very sensitive to any changes in the air path / air flow. It kept throwing codes. So I figured that if I could use the stock box, that should solve that issue, and it did.. As for performance, it makes no difference other than it is louder under the hood. The MAF is in the stock (rotated) location.

Everything I have read on cowl induction and ram air shows that you have to go well over 100mph to get any measurable benefit. So for NASCAR, yes - me, not so much. I measured inlet air temp (at the filter) before and after the new hood, and there was virtually no difference. In fact, since the air path is all convoluted through the hood channel and then down to the air box, the truth is that I may have actually hurt the performance a little! But to have functional ram air, it is the 'cool' factor more than anything.

I tried to make it look decent and not home-made (no duct tape). I could probably work on that foam seal and make it look better.

And now it is just no fun keeping up with all the horsepower bumps. In 2005, a 300hp V8 was respectable. Now a little V6 Hyundai has more than that, so I'll just drive mine and not worry that some little punk in a '92 Accord will smoke me with his juiced turbo 4. Stock Mustang GTs are north of 400hp now.

My Impala has headers, 3-chamer Flo masters, and rather lopey cam in it so it is just fun to sit at a stop light let the whole car shake and see the odd looks from the people sitting next to me.

Computer stuff is more my thing now. And even that is hard to keep up since what is hot now is outdated in 6 months. I have a Thermaktake X9 case on its way for a review soon, which I am looking forward to using as my personal case (switching from a Corsair Air 540). The X9 truly has room for multiple radiators.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You guys add a hair dryer or two to those rigs you won't have to keep up with the horsepower wars. :D

66 Chevelle is on my short list of cars to own ever since I saw Danny Scott run his at a local track here years ago. Saw that thing run high 8's and just knew I had to have one.

I've got my speed fix on two wheels over the years. It aint no muscle car but I miss my last one that I parted with recently. Doesn't look like much but it was stupid fast and like you guys I like the sleeper approach. ;)

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
I rode a buddy's motorcycle once back in the '80s. Ended up in someone's front yard. Drove it back to his house and haven't been on one since.

This is more my speed (me in 1982).

Attachments

• moped - 82.jpg
    moped - 82.jpg
    562.3 KB · Views: 267

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Chris, having a functioning hood scoop is adding a heaping helping of badassery to the mix.

Even at 10mpg I would be driving that Impala daily.

My buddy has a 95 Impala with a built LT1 with forged internals. Every time I mention doing heads and cam on one of my cars, he brings up his neighbor who just bought a 300C with the HEMI. It is a car with a warranty that is every bit as fast as his built car. Technology is doing great things for power in vehicles. It is very hard to keep up. A stock 94 Impala could beat just about anything on the road back in 94. 2015? Not so much. However, stabbing a later generation LSx engine under the hood of a 94 Impala is a road well traveled. It is probably smarter to buy a newer vehicle. I used to argue I needed to keep the Caprice as a tow vehicle to tow my 7000lb car hauler. I have a large truck now so that idea is out the window. I am waiting for the Chevy PPV's to hit auction.

Hair dryers are VERY nice. That is ALSO a road well traveled. My buddy who dyno tunes LTx and LSx for a living (and VERY smart) only has heads and cam in his daily. He told me power adders add huge issues for daily drivers. You will ALWAYS be messing with it. Once I start my career after I graduate, I WILL do a nice mild LS turbo build. Only about 800 hp or so ;)

Doesn't look like much but it was stupid fast and like you guys I like the sleeper approach. ;)

What???? I think the "GSX 1300" gives it away. That thing is insane! I am not a bike guy at all. I have had my ass handed to me enough to know better than that. I had an old school bike many years ago. I never did fall off of it. But I learned one thing. I would soon want something bigger and faster. With my personality, I knew I would be running full out in no time. I would kill myself for sure. Hell, I get into enough trouble on 4 wheels. When I had just got my Caprice in 2002 it was unmodded and unmolested , I had it up to 142mph racing a Subaru WRX. Now, it is a good bit faster. I have not had it much past 120 since then. Just not safe. Bikes sure look really fun though. Have you seen the Isle of Man motorcycle videos?

9C1 Newbee

Patron
I rode a buddy's motorcycle once back in the '80s. Ended up in someone's front yard. Drove it back to his house and haven't been on one since.

This is more my speed (me in 1982).
Long story, I have an agreement with God. I promised to NEVER get on a motorcycle again. I know God's sense of humor. If I ever went back on that promise he will surely punk me. No GSXr for me.

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
I forgot about this - I have a buddy with a collection of 90 Firebirds and TAs. Yes - 90 cars. So I figured that since Jay Leno comes to Indy to see the race, he may like to see the collection. I got in touch with Jay's manager and while Jay couldn't fit it into his schedule, he did leave me a nice message. It would have been cool to talk to him, but without the message, no one would ever believe that he called me.

And one of my car -

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
The isle of man is insane. Loved watching Joey Dunlop run around that thing.

I say that my old bike has a sleeper look because it does. If you look closely you'll see the charge tube leading to the intercooler through the side fairing. That bike doesn't look like much but it made 470 HP@30lbs boost with me in the seat on the dyno and the previous owner made 513 with a maxed out tune on his.

I doubt I'll ever bee on or in anything faster the rest of my life.

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
How can you ever put that much hp to the ground?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Believe it or not quite easily. I ran around most of the time on pump gas and 15lbs of boost. But the real fun starts at 20.

If you look close another subtle touch is the extended swing arm. Not much, just about 3 inches is all, but it makes all the difference in the world. Well that and a sticky tire. :D

Chris Dawalt

Explorer
And you had to wear Kevlar underwear?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Heh. I kinda got a speed jones. :D

Family and life got in the way though so I decided to sell it. Even though I'm insured well, the warden said she preferred me alive.

9C1 Newbee

Patron
Putting almost 500hp to the ground in a car can sometimes be challenging. How can you even hang on to it? How fast did you have to be going before you could go WOT without all that power just blowing through the tire?

Yeah I would be driving that Impala WAY more than 500 miles a year. That thing is SICK!

Here is one of my Caprices autocrossing.

Status
Not open for further replies.