FreeNAS 10.4 won't boot after power failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

backisen

Dabbler
I had a short power failure yesterday and after that FreeNAS won't boot. I get multiple errors and really have no idea what is wrong or how I should solve this. I will post pictures of the error messages because I have no ability to copy and paste.

I am running FreeNAS 10.4 with 4 harddrives in RAIDZ with encryption. FreeNAS is running from 2 x SanDisk USB-drives,

Picture 1 shows the error message I get 50 % of the time. If I try to boot again pressing "normal boot" it will at last get past that message.

Picture 2 shows an error i get during boot. It will always get past this error message and continue to boot. My interpretation of this message is that one of my two USB drives is damaged. When i remove one of them I never get this message.

Picture 3 shows the message I get where the boot fails 95 % of the time. A couple of times this message hasn't shown and the boot stopped when some plugins was beeing loaded.

Please help me.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
I had a short power failure yesterday and after that FreeNAS won't boot. I get multiple errors and really have no idea what is wrong or how I should solve this. I will post pictures of the error messages because I have no ability to copy and paste.

I am running FreeNAS 10.4 with 4 harddrives in RAIDZ with encryption. FreeNAS is running from 2 x SanDisk USB-drives,

Picture 1 shows the error message I get 50 % of the time. If I try to boot again pressing "normal boot" it will at last get past that message.

Picture 2 shows an error i get during boot. It will always get past this error message and continue to boot. My interpretation of this message is that one of my two USB drives is damaged. When i remove one of them I never get this message.

Picture 3 shows the message I get where the boot fails 95 % of the time. A couple of times this message hasn't shown and the boot stopped when some plugins was beeing loaded.

Please help me.
Looks like your USB boot drives are bad. You can try replacing them, re-installing FreeNAS, and restoring your configuration from a backup configuration file.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

backisen

Dabbler
Looks like your USB boot drives are bad. You can try replacing them, re-installing FreeNAS, and restoring your configuration from a backup configuration file.
Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry to say but I can't remember backing up the config. Is it possible to get the config even though FreeNAS doesn't boot? What happens if I reinstall without old config?

gpsguy

I didn't understand the "Picture 2" info. Does it boot successfully if you remove one of the flash drives?

If you reinstall without the old config, you'd have to reconfigure all your settings, etc. Since you're using encryption, you'll need to have your key too.

I am running Corral 10.0.4 with 4 harddrives in RAIDZ with encryption.

gpsguy

Whatever you do, don't re-use your existing flash drives. It may be possible to recover data from them. You don't want to burn that bridge - especially with an encrypted pool.

backisen

Dabbler
I didn't understand the "Picture 2" info. Does it boot successfully if you remove one of the flash drives?

If you reinstall without the old config, you'd have to reconfigure all your settings, etc. Since you're using encryption, you'll need to have your key too.

The boot continues despite the error message in picture 2. If i remove one of the USB drives this message won't appear.

Can I get the config from the USB drive?

I can live with having to reconfigure FreeNAS but losing all data would be a DISASTER.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The boot continues despite the error message in picture 2. If i remove one of the USB drives this message won't appear.

Can I get the config from the USB drive?

I can live with having to reconfigure FreeNAS but losing all data would be a DISASTER.
Do you have your encryption keys? You need those to decrypt your pool.

If the boot continues what is the problem? If it boots fine then backup your config, backup encryption keys and replace the bad USB.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

backisen

Dabbler
Do you have your encryption keys? You need those to decrypt your pool.

If the boot continues what is the problem? If it boots fine then backup your config, backup encryption keys and replace the bad USB.

It almost always stops at picture 3 even though it gets past picture 2.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Ok, well your USB keys are dead then. And since you didn't backup your encryption keys you pool is now locked forever. Restoring your data from a backup is your only choice.

You need one of those USB keys to boot your system so try each individually and in different ports. If it ever boots immediately save your encryption keys.

backisen

Dabbler
Ok, well your USB keys are dead then. And since you didn't backup your encryption keys you pool is now locked forever. Restoring your data from a backup is your only choice.

You need one of those USB keys to boot your system so try each individually and in different ports. If it ever boots immediately save your encryption keys.

Ok. I will try FreeBSD to acess the USB drives and copy the encryption key.

rs225

Guru
I would try to make an image of both USBs, and then access that from FreeBSD so you have best chance of recovery.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Thanks for your advice. How do I create an image of the USB drive?
Using the dd tool. Look it up but something like. dd if=/dev/usbdevice of=./usb 1.image bs=1M

backisen

Dabbler
Using the dd tool. Look it up but something like. dd if=/dev/usbdevice of=./usb 1.image bs=1M

Sorry for a maybe stupid question (FreeBSD newbie) but why can't I just ls into the USB drive and copy the key file?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sorry for a maybe stupid question (FreeBSD newbie) but why can't I just ls into the USB drive and copy the key file?
The more you mess with the USB the more likely it will fully die. It's probably already dead anyways.

You want to make a exact copy of the USB then mount that image and do the recovery that way.

FYI you probably should not be using encryption in the first place since you are so new. And especially since you don't have a backup. Your data is gone, we are just grasping at hairs now.

backisen

Dabbler
The more you mess with the USB the more likely it will fully die. It's probably already dead anyways.

You want to make a exact copy of the USB then mount that image and do the recovery that way.

FYI you probably should not be using encryption in the first place since you are so new. And especially since you don't have a backup. Your data is gone, we are just grasping at hairs now.

Ok thanks. I will try this and get back. Seems very unlikely to me that two USB drives breaks at the exact same time. Isn't it? Or is this software related and FreeNAS is the one responsible for the bad drives?

rs225

Guru
If you use dd, you need conv=noerror

ddrescue may be a better choice, or even the recoverdisk command which is built in to FreeBSD.

rs225

Guru
recoverdisk -w worklist /dev/da2 image.da2

If you interrupt and need to resume, recoverdisk -w worklist -r worklist /dev/da2 image.da2

Let it run until it completes or seems to be stuck.

backisen

Dabbler
recoverdisk -w worklist /dev/da2 image.da2

If you interrupt and need to resume, recoverdisk -w worklist -r worklist /dev/da2 image.da2

Let it run until it completes or seems to be stuck.
Thanks for your advice. Recoverdisk has been running for 6 hours now and seems to be stuck. It continues working but no progress seems to be done. It is stuck on 99,98 % complete and 2,7 MB remaining. Is this a good or bad thing?

What is the next step? Guess I have to mount the image somehow and try to copy the encryption key and eventually the config.

Status
Not open for further replies.