FREE CRASHPLAN offsite backup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yourmate

Contributor
Yeah, I made you to click, haven't I? You are a tight ass, just like me ;)
But no problem with that. If we could save a few quid here and there, than why not?

OK, so I like the idea of offsite backup and I like the idea of Crashplan's set and forget approach. So I started to think first on a community sharing* but then I've spotted this. They're saying WD My Cloud is fast, easily configurable and expandable (although through USB3) What if I locate this off site (in my case even in a different country) and load Crashplan on it as I bet it runs on linux and I have 4TB+ online cloud storage for the cost of the hardware? So I looked a bit harder and found this.

Anybody has any experience with this? Any thoughts?

*I had the idea of community p2p 'Crashplan like' backup solution when everybody storing their backups on others' FreeNASes. Of course there are several issues of encryption, quotas, etc but the biggest one for me personally, that I cannot make this happen as the last time I wrote a code I was in the uni, during the early '90s and we used pascal ;)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler

yourmate

Contributor
You could use CrashPlan for this, no need for any coding. Take a look at this: https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Backup/Backing_Up_To_A_Friends_Computer

Thanks Robert, probably I did not make myself entirely clear.
Firstly, I am fully aware that Crashplan can easily backup to a friend's computer or FreeNAS but I was talking about a relatively dumb external unit which can be bought for a 100 quid including HDD but this involves that you need to hack CP on the unit.

Secondly, the coding thing was referring to a would-be new community backup software which would work on a reciprocal quota basis on each others FreeNASes but this throws up a bunch of security and trust issues apart from the programming so that was just an faint idea ;)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
would-be new community backup software which would work on a reciprocal quota basis
There was (at least) one, for a while. I don't remember what it was called, and I don't know what happened to it.

yourmate

Contributor
So I didn't invent the wheel after all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.