Configuring Crashplan for Offsite Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to configure Crashplan using the steps from Crashplan themselves:

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/Latest/Configuring/Using_CrashPlan_On_A_Headless_Computer

However, I am having issues from the start. For example, when I navigate to the var/lib/crashplan location to edit the .ui_info file, the file is not there. What I do see is a .identity file.

I tried doing form and google searches, but each link shows me a different method for configuring crash plan.

Any idea why I cannot find the .ui_info file? Am I going about this the proper way? Is there a “defacto” approach everyone is using?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
you need to navigate to /var/lib/crashplan

Code:
root@crashplan_1:/ # cd /var/lib/crashplan/
root@crashplan_1:/var/lib/crashplan # ls -l
total 17
-rw-------  1 root  wheel  2843 Sep 27 06:39 .identity
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    41 Jul 12 21:43 .ui_info

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
what version of crashplan do you currently have installed? the ui_info file doesn't show up until the latest version(4.3? maybe)

Nick2253

Wizard
I just did this setup, following this post: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/crashplan-on-freenas-9-3.26487/

Don't worry about the ui_info file for now. I went through most of the instructions, but skipped some of them. I've reproduced Dan's instructions below, with my comments:
  • Install the crashplan plugin through the web GUI
  • In the left-hand frame of the FreeNAS web GUI, expand Plugins, then click on Crashplan. Scroll down to accept the Java EULA.
  • Add storage to the crashplan jail for whatever on your server you want to back up to crashplan. Add each dataset separately under /mnt/ in the jail, and make sure the "read only" and "create directory" checkboxes are checked. For example, if you have a dataset called "documents" that you want to back up, the source would be /mnt/pool/documents, and the destination would be /mnt/documents. (Ed Note: I did not mark the mounts as read only, because if I need to restore, CrashPlan will need to be able to write those directories)
  • SSH to your FreeNAS server as root
  • Run "jls" to list your jails. Note the JID (number) of the crashplan jail
  • Run "jexec (JID of the crashplan jail) csh". For example, if the JID is 3, run "jexec 3 csh"
  • Run "echo crashplan_enable=\"YES\" >> /etc/rc.conf" (Ed Note: you don't need to do this. When you start CrashPlan from the Web GUI, it automatically adds this line, and when you stop it, it deletes this line).
  • Run "service crashplan start" and see if it starts without errors (Ed Note: You don't need to do this from the command line. You can start CrashPlan using the GUI)
  • Run "sockstat -l" and see that you have a lot of java processes listening on port 4243.
  • Run "service crashplan stop" (Ed Note: You don't need to do this from the command line. You can stop CrashPlan using the GUI)
  • Run "ee /usr/pbi/crashplan-amd64/share/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml" (Ed Note: You can use any editor to change this.)
  • Scroll down to find the line that says "<serviceHost>127.0.0.1</serviceHost>". Change 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0 (Ed Note: This is important. If you don't do this, CrashPlan only listens on the loopback interface, and you need it to listen on all interfaces, which means your client can't connect.)
  • Hit Esc to bring up the menu, a to leave the editor, and save the file.
  • service crashplan start (Ed Note: Again, can be done from GUI)
  • sockstat -l -- the java processes should now be listening on *:4243
  • Install the crashplan client on your desktop machine
  • Edit the ui.properties file (see here for location) to uncomment the serviceHost line, and to change the IP address to the address of your crashplan jail (Ed Note: If you start CrashPlan on the client before you change this file, you'll have to log in again. Don't forget, you're managing a completely separate install of CrashPlan.)
From my reading, I also believe that:
  • You can disable the CrashPlan service on your computer if you are only running CrashPlan on your FreeNAS. In my case, I use Acronis to backup my PC to my FreeNAS, and then use CrashPlan to sync it to the cloud, so I didn't need CrashPlan service running on my computer. The FreeNAS CrashPlan is completely self-contained; you only need the client GUI to configure it.
  • CrashPlan on FreeNAS may update. If it updates, you may need to reconfigure it, and then you may have to worry about the ui_info file. However, based on my reading, you should get an email saying something is not working right, which is your queue. You can manually check that everything is working by periodically connecting to the FreeNAS CrashPlan.

Last edited:
Running crashplan 3.6, which is what seems to come standard with the plugins.

So if .ui_info isn't there, I guess I will try Nicks suggestion. Will let you know how it turns out.

sdgenxr

Contributor
I'm having the same problem and cannot connect to Crashplan on my FreeNAS. Following Nik's steps doesn't seem to have any effect. Also, when I run sockstat -l, I do not see any mention of Java
Code:
root@crashplan_1:/var/lib/crashplan # sockstat -l
USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS
root     python2.7  45823 3  tcp4   192.168.1.xxx:12362   *:*
root     sshd       45579 4  tcp6   *:22                  *:*
root     sshd       45579 5  tcp4   *:22                  *:*
root     syslogd    45475 4  dgram  /var/run/log
root     syslogd    45475 5  dgram  /var/run/logpriv
root     syslogd    45475 6  udp6   *:514                 *:*
root     syslogd    45475 7  udp4   *:514                 *:*

If I uninstall the Crashplan plugin and reinstall, will I still be able to connect to the previous saved files on Crashplan's site?

Nick2253

Wizard
@sdgenxr You really should start your own thread. CrashPlan not running is completely unrelated to the issue at hand in this thread.

Having a bit of an issue. I followed the instructions provided by @Nick2253, but when I open Crashplan on my laptop, it still wants to configure the local instance of Crashplan and not the freenas instance. I did change the proprieties.ui file to the IP address of the freenas Crashplan.

Any ideas?

Nick2253

Wizard
Did you uncomment the line in the properties.ui file?

Yes. See the image below. Also confirmed that the IP address is the address to the jail.

upload_2015-10-5_11-53-10.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-10-5_11-52-34.png
    upload_2015-10-5_11-52-34.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 233
Status
Not open for further replies.