Resource icon

FN11.3 iocage jails - Plex, Tautulli, Sonarr, Radarr, Lidarr, Jackett, Transmission, Organizr

xvzacrw

Dabbler
EDIT: Here's the answer from guide
"apps dataset that has a dataset under it for each application's configuration files owned by the user that it will run as. "

Ok, well I interpret that to mean the apps dataset is completely separate from the dataset that contains the files for the jail. If they meant jail I think they would have called it a jail dataset, not an apps dataset.

So I have something like this

DATASETS
|
|_ /mnt/tank/video
|
|_ /mnt/tank/apps
| |
| |_ /mnt/tank/apps/nzbget # Mounted to jail and holds the config files for nzbget
|
|_ /mnt/tank/jails
| |
| |_ /mnt/tank/jails/nzbget # Actual jail, this dataset is created automatically by FreeNAS when a new jail is created. Inside the jail there is a folder /config which is created by mounting the /mnt/tank/apps/nzbget dataset. This /config folder holds the apps config files and is linked back to its original location.

If someone who knows could say if this is right or wrong that would be great. Thanks!

ere109

Contributor
After running the above command, everything else in the how-to worked perfectly. Plex successfully set up and I can access the webgui. However, I can't see my media - completely different issue. I'll work on that today.
I'm currently set at the /config/Plex Media Server library folder. From the jail, I can cd to /mnt/video and see all files. However, I was able to manually direct it to my folder by using the mnt path. Is there a way to change the location that the plex library starts in?

Last edited:

drphilth

Dabbler
Musicbrainz Server

Hi everyone!

I've got this working for musicbrainz server. I've approached it a little differently - I'm writing scripts to do the setup for my jails. This way it documents the whole process and it means I won't have to try and relearn everything if I need to reinstall this stuff month down the line!

I have a parent app dir and then a directory for each app I'm installing. Each application has at the very least a pkg.json and a setupjail.sh script.

I also have my customised configuration files in this directory which get copied to the appropriate locations by the script.

I will be keeping all of these in a github repo: https://github.com/drphilth/jail-setup

YMMV, but this has worked for me. Just watch out for the part where you have to drop into an iocage console and run a second script from inside the jail.

Reactions: jg3

Pentaflake

Explorer
I experienced the same issue, and it almost drove me crazy! The problem appears to be solved due to some weird behaviour of PLEX, where interface names starting with "v" are ignored o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O. Since iocage jail interfaces start with "vnet" (at least mine do..) many plex clients can´t find local servers.

The solution is to rename the interface:

Link to the discussion with the solution:
https://github.com/iocage/iocage/issues/470

I think this should probably be included in the guide to avoid further headache .

Interesting my plex has no issue determining its local ip on the remote access screen with the interface named vnet0. The rest of my networking setup is unique and I actually add a few more options to my iocage creations to accommodate my networking requirements. Can you clarify where you are not seeing plex being able to detect it?

Code:
root@plex:~ # ifconfig
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
        options=600003<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,RXCSUM_IPV6,TXCSUM_IPV6>
        inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
        inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
        inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
        nd6 options=21<PERFORMNUD,AUTO_LINKLOCAL>
        groups: lo
vnet0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>
        ether 02:ff:60:14:fa:0a
        hwaddr 02:d2:a0:00:10:0b
        inet 10.0.20.9 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.20.255
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>
        media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)
        groups: epair

Remote Access Page:
Private 10.0.20.9 : 32400 < Public x.x.x.x : x < Internet

I can add this to the guide but I'd just like to understand why it is needed in some cases but not others so it can be clear who needs it before I add it.

As long as plex can see its local IP on the remote access then if a client can't see the server as nearby it can also be an issue of it being able to look up *.plex.direct dns name with a RFC1918/Local IP as the response. A number of routers/dns block access to having 1918 space in DNS responses to prevent rebinding attacks. This will cause issues with clients to not be able to find the ip for nearby/local connections and default to remote. Its worth checking from your clients that are having issues if you can look up the dns entry for your local ip and see if you get a proper response with the ip. You can get the dns name with inspections of dns requests via the dev tools in most browsers when going to app.plex.tv.

Last edited:

Pentaflake

Explorer
Ok, well I interpret that to mean the apps dataset is completely separate from the dataset that contains the files for the jail. If they meant jail I think they would have called it a jail dataset, not an apps dataset.

So I have something like this

DATASETS
|
|_ /mnt/tank/video
|
|_ /mnt/tank/apps
| |
| |_ /mnt/tank/apps/nzbget # Mounted to jail and holds the config files for nzbget
|
|_ /mnt/tank/jails
| |
| |_ /mnt/tank/jails/nzbget # Actual jail, this dataset is created automatically by FreeNAS when a new jail is created. Inside the jail there is a folder /config which is created by mounting the /mnt/tank/apps/nzbget dataset. This /config folder holds the apps config files and is linked back to its original location.

If someone who knows could say if this is right or wrong that would be great. Thanks!

This is correct. It should be something like this at the end.
Code:
tank1/apps
tank1/apps/jackett
tank1/apps/organizr
tank1/apps/plex
tank1/apps/plexpy
tank1/apps/radarr
tank1/apps/sonarr
tank1/apps/transmission
tank1/iocage
tank1/iocage/download
tank1/iocage/download/11.1-RELEASE
tank1/iocage/images
tank1/iocage/jails
tank1/iocage/jails/jackett
tank1/iocage/jails/jackett/root
tank1/iocage/jails/organizr
tank1/iocage/jails/organizr/root
tank1/iocage/jails/plex
tank1/iocage/jails/plex/root
tank1/iocage/jails/plexpy
tank1/iocage/jails/plexpy/root
tank1/iocage/jails/radarr
tank1/iocage/jails/radarr/root
tank1/iocage/jails/sonarr
tank1/iocage/jails/sonarr/root
tank1/iocage/jails/transmission
tank1/iocage/jails/transmission/root

mrMuppet

Contributor
HI,
if i use the "tutorial" i can only use the plex if i switch off the vnet-feature. If i do so i can install plex and use it, but i can only play local videos. Any videos linked via Fstab don't play in the browser (just a rotating wheel). Some played via app but i'm not sure. I checked the fastab entries and the linkes files: they are all 744 755 (a seven vor reading by all) and the line is "rw 0 0" exactly like it is in the tutorial. Any idea?

Edit: Found out: Its not a problem of the location of the files. Its the trancoding. Any files played with transcoding don't work for me. Have to find out why.

Last edited:

Pentaflake

Explorer
bump for news.
There is nothing wrong with organizer. It works fine under iocage using RELEASE-11.1-p6.

HI,
if I use the "tutorial" I can only use the plex if I switch off the vnet-feature. If I do so I can install plex and use it, but I can only play local videos. Any videos linked via Fstab don't play in the browser (just a rotating wheel). Some played via app but I'm not sure. I checked the fastab entries and the linkes files: they are all 744 755 (a seven vor reading by all) and the line is "rw 0 0" exactly like it is in the tutorial. Any idea?

Edit: Found out: Its not a problem of the location of the files. Its the trancoding. Any files played with transcoding don't work for me. Have to find out why.
If you are having an issue with Plex's transcoding you should try the Plex forums.

ere109

Contributor
...As long as plex can see its local IP on the remote access then if a client can't see the server as nearby it can also be an issue of it being able to look up *.plex.direct dns name with a RFC1918/Local IP as the response. A number of routers/dns block access to having 1918 space in DNS responses to prevent rebinding attacks. This will cause issues with clients to not be able to find the IP for nearby/local connections and default to remote.
Could you expand upon this, or let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree? I've got my plex running successfully - internally. I can access it from LAN. But I get a "Not available outside your network" message, so I can't connect from any apps.. I've set up the port forward on my Netgear R9000 router, and have DHCP off, IP manually configured as per the setup guide. Does that sound like a 1918 issue? My only other thoughts are that DHCP is off, vnet0 has two mac addresses, and there's no host_domainname set. Any thoughts? (I keep upnp off for security reasons.)

Last edited:

Pentaflake

Explorer
Could you expand upon this, or let me know if I'm barking up the wrong tree? I've got my plex running successfully - internally. I can access it from LAN. But I get a "Not available outside your network" message, so I can't connect from any apps.. I've set up the port forward on my Netgear R9000 router, and have DHCP off, IP manually configured as per the setup guide. Does that sound like a 1918 issue? My only other thoughts are that DHCP is off, vnet0 has two mac addresses, and there's no host_domainname set. Any thoughts? (I keep upnp off for security reasons.)
The issue I mentioned is more a common DNS issue with people not being able to see servers as nearby/local. (https://support.plex.tv/articles/206225077-how-to-use-secure-server-connections/ see dns rebinding at the bottom)

Yours sounds more like an issue with your configuration of plex/router so long as you can reach the server directly from within your network (ie assuming a new install can you get to http://IPHERE:32400/web/index.html). I really try not to try and troubleshoot the applications themselves as it can vary a lot on a case by case basis based on your configuration. Your best bet if you can actually access the app directly would be the Plex forums to see if they can help look at your config of plex in more detail.

What's the best guide to use for setting up my storage / data sets / shares? I just did a fresh FN 11.1 install on a new server I setup. I had FN 11.1 on a previous server but I stumbled through the storage setup and had it to where I could delete files from within like Plex but couldn't from another computer via the share. Also want a guide so that I can setup data sets and shares following best practices for I start creating jails and installing stuff following this guide here.

The software / jails I'll be using are:

Plex
Sonarr
Radarr
Transmission
Jackett

Any help is appreciated.

corky876

Cadet
I am running 11.1-U1. I am trying to update both radarr and sabnzbd. I used the tutorial to install both. When I run "iocage exec radarr pkg update" the new packages are downloaded, but then when I run "iocage exec radarr pkg upgrade", all I get is:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

This is the same thing that is happening in my warden jail for PLEX. Is this an issue with 11.1-U1? I was able to update PLEX in warden on (I think it was->) 11.1-RELEASE. Am I doing something wrong?

corky876

Cadet
I am running 11.1-U1. I am trying to update both radarr and sabnzbd. I used the tutorial to install both. When I run "iocage exec radarr pkg update" the new packages are downloaded, but then when I run "iocage exec radarr pkg upgrade", all I get is:
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
Checking for upgrades (0 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (0 candidates): 100%
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Your packages are up to date.

This is the same thing that is happening in my warden jail for PLEX. Is this an issue with 11.1-U1? I was able to update PLEX in warden on (I think it was->) 11.1-RELEASE. Am I doing something wrong?
Figured it out. Just needed to create the FreeBSD.conf file for each jail.

mrMuppet

Contributor
I did it once again exactly like its written above and: it worked. Made a plex, plexpy and sabnzbd jail (with vnet) and it all worked. Until i made a restart. Now i can't reach one of the vnet jails. ?????

If i try to build a jail now it get:
Code:
plexpy successfully created!
Testing SRV response to FreeBSD
Error: error sending query: Error creating socket

Command run: drill _http._tcp.pkg.freebsd.org SRV

Edit: Solution seems to be to use this tunables . I didn't know that those had an effect for my system.

Last edited:
For someone who wants to check if the VPN is working correctly a quick way to do so from within the jail is to do a simple .

Code:
wget -qO- http://ipecho.net/plain ; echo

It will output the public IP address presented to the web. I actually put this into a file ip.sh inside the jail and then made it executable so I don't have to remember it.

mrMuppet

Contributor
Yep, just use the pkg install and don't worry about the script. The script gets things maybe a week or two earlier than the pkg and as of yet I have not found a single point in time where plex stopped functioning due to a mismatch between the app on my TV or phone compared to the jail.

NasKar

Guru
Having trouble getting transmission to work. Getting the following after starting the service.
Code:
403: Forbidden
Unauthorized IP Address.

Either disable the IP address whitelist or add your address to it.

If you're editing settings.json, see the 'rpc-whitelist' and 'rpc-whitelist-enabled' entries.

If you're still using ACLs, use a whitelist instead. See the transmission-daemon manpage for details.

in the settings.json I have "rpc-whitelist": "myjailipfortransmission", and "rpc-whitelist-enable": true,