First-time setup, TrueNAS shows status: no carrier

Billium813

Cadet
Hello!

TrueNAS-13.0-U3.1
Supermicro x10DRU-I+
2x E5-2676 V3 12 Cores

I'm setting up my first server and I installed FreeNAS successfully. However, I am having difficulties getting to the webui. I am getting the rather vague message:
The web interface could not be accessed
Please check network configuration

20221217_173935.jpg

I ran 'ifconfig':

20221217_174018.jpg

I see `status: no carrier`, which could mean there is a hardware issue. However, I'm currently ruling out a hardware issue because I can successfully connect to IPMI over the network (?).

I can attempt to ping another device, from shell, on the network and I get:
ping: sendto: No route to host

I just have an ethernet cable running from the rear LAN port to my router switch.

Any further things to check? I'm not a network expert, I appreciate any assistance!

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Oh dear lord, that's a hot mess. The X10DRU-I+ is an "Ultra Riser" system that has a plethora of networking options, listed over at

Since this looks to be a ix driver hosted interface, I would say this is an 82599ES based riser (X520-compatible) and the easy guess here based on your saying "an ethernet cable" means that you've inserted a copper SFP+ module into the X520.

If you have instead just connected an ethernet cable to the RJ45 BMC port, that's an easy fix; unplug it. That's the network connection for the onboard management host, and is not going to show up as a usable ethernet interface by the operating system.

The 82599ES SFP+ ports, the weird rectangular holes that look like this:

sfp-port-switch-what-is-sfp-port.jpg
are SFP+ ports, and require SFP+ modules (the silver modules). These are for 10G fiber optic. You need an SFP+ in order to use this. And they probably have to be Intel branded.

Billium813

Cadet
Oh dear lord, that's a hot mess. The X10DRU-I+ is an "Ultra Riser" system that has a plethora of networking options, listed over at

Since this looks to be a ix driver hosted interface, I would say this is an 82599ES based riser (X520-compatible) and the easy guess here based on your saying "an ethernet cable" means that you've inserted a copper SFP+ module into the X520.

If you have instead just connected an ethernet cable to the RJ45 BMC port, that's an easy fix; unplug it. That's the network connection for the onboard management host, and is not going to show up as a usable ethernet interface by the operating system.

The 82599ES SFP+ ports, the weird rectangular holes that look like this:

View attachment 61103
are SFP+ ports, and require SFP+ modules (the silver modules). These are for 10G fiber optic. You need an SFP+ in order to use this. And they probably have to be Intel branded.

Thanks for the link! The system came with riser `AOC-2UR6-i4XT`, and that says that it has RJ-45, which I can confirm it does.

However, I'm not even using the riser card yet... I'm just running a simple RJ-45 ethernet cable to the LAN port on the motherboard: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/motherboard/X10DRU-i+

Is that exclusively for IPMI?

artlessknave

Wizard
that is definitely one of the more complex boards to work with, not at all standard. I spent some time looking into them, they have lots of options. as jgreco points out, you will need a NIC, but you need to sort out which risers you have (can be up to 4 total iirc).

Billium813

Cadet
that is definitely one of the more complex boards to work with, not at all standard. I spent some time looking into them, they have lots of options. as jgreco points out, you will need a NIC, but you need to sort out which risers you have (can be up to 4 total iirc).

Nothing like jumping in the deep end! Hopefully I learn something on this build!

artlessknave

Wizard
they should be good hardware, just very proprietary. it's basically one of the supermicro equivalents to a dell r730.
I had looked at them cuz they were super cheap on ebay...but I really dislike non standard motherboards. I have to many of them already...
usually good to put your chassis in your hardware list...but I assume you are using the original in this instance, since that wouldnt fit anywhere else anyway?