First-time setup FreeNAS shows status: no carrier and does recieve IP

SCJonass

Cadet
Hi
I was setting up my first FreeNAS.
I have the OS installed, which worked without error.

But it gives me the error message:
The web interface could not be accessed
Please check network configuration

From reading other forum posts, I assumed I would need to configure a static ip, which I then did.
I used a free IP from my Network and I'm sure it was configured correctly.
After that (and rebooting) it showed me, that I should be able to access the WebGui, but I can't. It just tells me that: {IP} took to long to response.
From Forum posts, I checked the ifconfig with the following output:

1585755740084.png

The status shows status: no carrier, which made me presume, it didn't connect to the Internet, even though the Port is blinking.
I am not able to ping the ip either, from another computer connected to the same router.

Can anybody help me out?

SCJonass

Cadet
Sorry, I forgot to mention.
I have also checked other forums to see if other had the same error. They had, but trying their solutions didn't work for me.

JaimieV

Guru
"no carrier" means you have no signalling between bce0 and your network switch. Check the cable is all the way in at BOTH ends, or replace the cable. If need be move the box and use a cable you know is good.

bceX means a Broadcom chipset, and they're variably good with FreeBSD so it may be you're unlucky and need a new network card. Get any Intel-based card in that case.

It's nothing to do with Internet, it's much more local than that.

SCJonass

Cadet
The Cable works.
I have connected it to another Laptop and it gets a connection.
So you are recommending me to get an Intel Based card, if I understood correctly.
Do you have any recommendations that would be cheap? I have a fairly small budget at the moment.

JaimieV

Guru
Have you had this hardware working on a network under another OS? Can you try a Linux LiveCD maybe? That would be diagnostically helpful before spending money - if it doesn't work on a LiveCD you have hardware issues, if it does then you have FreeBSD driver issues.

If you do need to buy, any Intel Pro/1000 will do - they go for cheap, eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DELL-X39...NIC-PCI-E-CARD-D33682-C57721-005/303232639115 for a dual port at £11 (under $15).

SCJonass

Cadet
I tried with Ubuntu.
Although when booting over the "try" version, it shows me this:
"BIOS has corrupt hw-PMU resources" and then freezes
If you've got time, help would be deeply appreciated.

JaimieV

Guru
So you've got a messed up computer, probably nothing to do with FreeNAS at all.

Only a guess, but go into your BIOS and reset it to defaults. Or better, if there is one use the BIOS_CLEAR jumper on the motherboard. Also look into updating your BIOS to a current version.

What motherboard is it?

SCJonass

Cadet
I don't know what motherboard it is for certain, but the server is a HP Proliant DL360 G5.

JaimieV

Guru
Ah, ok - I'm Dell flavoured and don't know the ins and outs of the DL360, but I'm sure there's a "reset BIOS to defaults" somewhere, and you may need to reset the PMU, SMC and/or BMC as well. Take a look through the firmware management to see if the builtin Ethernet ports are actively disabled - that's something I've hit on Dells before! Keep resetting things at the firmware level to default until you get a good boot from Ubuntu with link and DHCP, then get back to FreeNAS.

SCJonass

Cadet
Hello again.
I tried a new approach and install ESXi.
This has worked perfectly for me and I was able to install FreeNAS over this.
Thank you very much for your help, it is deeply appreciated!

JaimieV

Guru