DHCP works but Static IP gives no carrier

Blueshadow

Cadet
Hi

Trying to setup Freenas to connect to a VMWARE ESX box using ISCSI but run into an issue with the configuration of the network.

Now I have tested all of the network ports on the Freenas by selecting them to be DHCP and all of them get an IP on our internal network of 10.x.x.x subnet 255.0.0.0

Internal network is using 10.x.x.x 255.0.0.0 and I can set an interface on this subnet and it works fine.

But when I set an interface to 192.168.31.x with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 the interface comes up with no carrier
It also does not respond to a ping.

Was wondering what I am doing wrong.

I have tried to delete all interfaces .

I have also connected the configured network cards to a dumb switch as well.

melloa

Wizard
FreeNAS has nothing to do with your network routing, so you will need to configure your router to route between those two networks; also there is not reason for the no carrier when configuring the interface to a static IP. The OS only gives this error when there is no link on the interface, due to cable, driver, etc.

Have you set a default route?

Blueshadow

Cadet
Not after routing between the networks.
the 10 network is our main network
then we going to have 4 networks on the 192.168..x.x which are going to be isolated for ISCSI.
This in turn is then going to be connected to vmware server
switch is connecting the freenas to the esxi
So the traffic on 192.168.31.1 that the interface has been setup for will be going to 192.168.31.101 on the esxi server.

Have connected a laptop on 192.168.31.10. It can ping the esxi but not the freenas.

cheers

Blueshadow

Cadet
It not the hardware since when set to DHCP they all get an ip address on the 10 network. Also did have switch that was setup for VLANs for each of the 4 networks 192.168.31.x etc. Vmware is a tagged port, the Freenas and a laptop into untagged port. Laptop is able to ping the vmware but not the freenas. Also then connected the laptop and freenas to a dumb switch and still could not ping freenas.

pschatz100

Guru
When you set the Static IP value, did you remember to also set the appropriate Default Gateway? This is something that would be set automatically by DHCP, but you have to remember to set it yourself when manually specifying static parameters.

Blueshadow

Cadet
Hi

This diagram might help to get what I am trying to achieve.

That link to the management of the network works fine on the static IP and have set a default gateway.

The links on the 4 ISCI networks are isolated from any network, thus there is no default gateway has been configured or setup.
Why would there be a need for a default gateway if each network is to be isolated and non routable?

I know that the 4 network ports that are to be used for the ISCI networks are working since they can pick up a DHCP.

It only when they are configured to Static is there an issue.

I know that the network is working since I have connected a laptop to each of the ISCSI networks, without a default gateway and each time it can ping the ESXI host on the configured virtual card.

1574071157304.png

In my experience, if you are seeing 'no carrier' this means there is no physical network connection i.e the port is dead, the cable isn't connected etc. Even if statically assigned IP wasn't working I'd not expect to see 'no carrier'.

Blueshadow

Cadet
The cable and the ports work. Have set both the connections with the same cable and port to a DHCP and on the same VLAN and it gets a DHCP ip address. I have also connected a static IP address to the port that the VLAN has been plugged into, using the same cable and it is able to ping the esxi server. The only combination that does not work is a static ip address coming from the Freenas.