First time installing FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am brand new to FreeNAS and was going to use an older computer to start using this program. I did research online for how to install and setup FreeNAS but I can not even get to the install part. I have 2 HDD in the system and 2 USB drives for installing the OS. Once the computer powers on it automatically boots to the USB drive with the FreeNAS 11 on it, the following message flows down the screen and stops after about 20 seconds. (No Systemdisk. Booting from harddisk. Start booting from USB device....) This message is repeated over a hundred times before it stops. I attempted to look up this issue but can find anything on it. I have even tried using an earlier version to see if that would help but I run into the same issue. I have used different USB drives and have downloaded the FreeNAS ISO again to ensure it was not a bad download. Since I am completely new at this I am at a lost to what is going on.

Thank you

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is your hardware? Can your system even boot from a USB. A little hint for you is that FreeNAS is not meant to run on just any old hardware. Anything you read on the internet is probably wrong. Read the forums and manual for accurate information.

Last edited by a moderator:
The system is Intel based with an i7 5th or 6th generation I would have to double check that, 16GB of RAM, 2 6TB WD RED and for USB booting yes the system supports that as I have installed Windows ISO through USB booting. I did use Ultra ISO to create the FreeNAS bootable USB.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The system is Intel based with an i7 5th or 6th generation I would have to double check that, 16GB of RAM, 2 6TB WD RED and for USB booting yes the system supports that as I have installed Windows ISO through USB booting. I did use Ultra ISO to create the FreeNAS bootable USB.
Maybe try following the directions in the manual for creating the boot device. Could just be something funky from the ultra iso.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Agree with SweetAndLow, make sure you properly prepare your install media. Are you using a windows based PC to do so? If you have an old HD laying around, maybe try to boot from it instead just to see if that works. Then, you can always install on the USB drive once you know what's what......

Status
Not open for further replies.