Fundamental installation issue - can only run from fresh install

Status
Not open for further replies.

jontheil

Cadet
I am new to FreeNAS but not to FreeBSD. The last weeks I have been struggling with the installation, and now I need some advice.
My system is a MicroServer GEN8 with 4 x 3 TB WD NAS disks and 10 GB RAM.
I can only install by using two USB keys. I install from a Kingston DataTravaler 111 USB 3.0 into a SanDisk Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 (both on USB 2.0 ports).
Obviously, I have tried a lot of things, and I succeeded in installing 9.3-Release without to many issues. But when I install updates, I can't make it work. I cannot start sshd (I really need that) and I get messages like "
uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)" all the time.
I think I am doing something completely wrong, but I don't know what.
I can provide a bunch of more details, but I don't know which are relevant until somebody asks for them.
Any kind of help is very much appreciated.

D

dlavigne

uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)" all the time.

That usually indicates a hardware issue, typically RAM. Try running a memtest.

Also, anything else in /var/log/messages? What is the size of the boot disk?

jontheil

Cadet
Thank you for answering.

I doubt is is related to a RAM issue. The machine is about three weeks old, and the internal system check seems okay. Of course it could be some wrong BIOS setting, but I don't think so.

Right now the installation is fine. Made a fresh install from the latest STABLE image. And I am afraid running into new problems if I try make changes like performing and update. So I haven't got any usable log files. Will remember to copy them if/when I run into problems again.

The boot disk is a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16 GB.

sremick

Patron
I doubt is is related to a RAM issue. The machine is about three weeks old, and the internal system check seems okay.

That test means little and only will catch massively-catastrophic memory errors. It will not pick up subtle errors which can cause catastrophic results later on in a FreeNAS/ZFS environment.

Memory doesn't tend to "go bad" but tends to be either flakey from the onset or be damaged during install (you worked on an anti-static mat and used an ESD wrist strap, right?). It takes 3000 volts to feel a static discharge but only 10-20 to damage electronics. The fact that it's a fresh build is all the more relevant to it being potentially a RAM issue.

There's a reason everyone on here says to run Memtest86 and not "run the POST RAM test and if it's passes, you're fine".

You're using ECC memory I assume, since this is basically required by FreeNAS/ZFS?

jontheil

Cadet
Right. I will run the test then. How do I do that the right way?

sremick

Patron
Right. I will run the test then. How do I do that the right way?

As dlavigne already advised: run Memtest86+. I'd suggest letting it loop overnight or for 24h.

If you care about your data enough to be using FreeNAS, basic fundamental burn-in procedures like this (and for everything else in the box) are a critical, prudent step. I spent many days independently testing my RAM, each HDD, motherboard, CPU, cooling system, etc.

jontheil

Cadet
More specifically: Do I have to install memtest86+ on the box. And how do I do that?
I don't know much about installing FreeBSD ports in FreeNAS. But of course I will do it, if that is your suggestion.

sremick

Patron
More specifically: Do I have to install memtest86+ on the box. And how do I do that?
I don't know much about installing FreeBSD ports in FreeNAS. But of course I will do it, if that is your suggestion.

Don't touch your existing FreeNAS setup. Just put Memtest86 on your bootable media of choice, whether it be the supplied bootable ISO file (for burning a CD), or UBCD (which includes Memtest86 and a ton of other things), or if you already have some bootable USB device that boots FreeDOS or whatnot (like I carry with me) you can just drop the EXE onto there.

If you want warm fuzzies you can even disconnect all your HDDs while you loop Memtest86 if they have data on them you're concerned about. You don't need HDDs to test RAM.

jontheil

Cadet
As I said, I boot from a SanDisk Cruzer Fit. No problems there. So I put the memtest on that device? I can easily disconnect my storage during the test. I just don't know how to "put Memtest86" on my device and run it. It might seem obvious, but I'm not used to run an OS from an USB key.
Sorry for my lag of knowledge... I just try to follow the good advices in this forum.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Allegedly if you look at the grub menu loader you might see memtest. According to the bug tickets (I requested memtest be added to FreeNAS) its in there. I don't have it though, and I presume this is because I was testing betas and such.

jontheil

Cadet
Okay. I'll shut down the NAS box and disconnect the disk array. Then I'll thy to look at the grub loader. Hope it helps.
And thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.