How do I install FreeNAS? (NOOB ALERT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funlamb

Cadet
My question sounds easy but I am a noob. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

My system just goes straight into the Console Setup Menu. (1. Configure Network Interface ... 11. Shutdown)
I have set the iso up using windows and FreeNAS' instructions but it pdf glosses over installing the actuall software. From what I have read online (engadget, youtube) FreeNAS needs to be installed but I never get to the option of doing that. Is there something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated. My setup is below.

Setup:
Flash Drive: 2x SanDisk Cruzer Fit 4GB USB Flash Drive (One for the ISO and one for the OS)
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 V2
MoBo: Supermicro X9SCM-B LGA1155
Ram: 1 x Kingston 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HDD: 2x Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive
PS: CORSAIR CX series CX600 ( I think I bought a bronze one so I will need to change it is that is true)

Question: What do I need to do to install this on a 4 gig sandisk usb flash drive?

Rand

Guru
Have you actually written the iso to a bootable USB stick or and booted your system from it?

gpsguy

Congratulations on the installation!

If you can see the console menu items 1-11, FreeNAS is installed and running.

If it found an IP address via DHCP, it should be displayed at the bottom of the screen. Open a web browser to that address and configure the server.

Follow the official guide - not some random documentation you found on the web.

Sent from my phone

Funlamb

Cadet
Have you actually written the iso to a bootable USB stick or and booted your system from it?

I wrote the ISO on to one of the USB sticks using Win32DiskImager and yes I have booted my system from it.

Congratulations on the installation!

If you can see the console menu items 1-11, FreeNAS is installed and running.

If it found an IP address via DHCP, it should be displayed at the bottom of the screen. Open a web browser to that address and configure the server.

Follow the official guide - not some random documentation you found on the web.

Sent from my phone

Cool, I didn't realize it would just install itself. I'll just go through the rest of the documentation and start messing around with this thing. Do you have any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks for the help guys.

Edit: Thanking the guys.

Rand

Guru
Playing around with your drives and setting up volumes and shares;)
Find out its slower than you hoped and figure out a way to fix it - I think 2 disks will be bad but you might have other expectations than i do;)

gpsguy

Funlamb, please don't be discouraged by Rand's statements. You have a server class motherboard, a great CPU, and WD Red's. Do you have ECC RAM? If not, it would behoove you to replace it. Search the forum for some of the ECC threads. You might want to use Google - "site:forums.freenas.org ECC" (since the forum won't let you search 3 letter words.

Having 2 disks isn't necessarily bad. Maybe if it's striped and you don't have a backup. :( I run a pair of 2Tb drives in a ZFS mirror.

Check out some of the stickies, like cyberjock's guide. And, spend time reading the official FreeNAS guide (manual). Above all, remember the answer to everything is 42. o_O

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I wrote the ISO on to one of the USB sticks using Win32DiskImager and yes I have booted my system from it.
Well, considering you aren't supposed to write the ISO to a USB stick using Win32DiskImager.. that's probably a good place to start. ;)

Funlamb

Cadet
Playing around with your drives and setting up volumes and shares;)
Find out its slower than you hoped and figure out a way to fix it - I think 2 disks will be bad but you might have other expectations than i do;)

Thanks, I'll be messing around with it for now. I work as a 3d Modeler by trade. I just want to get my data safe and secured. Right now I have all my stuff on 3 hard drives that I use AlwaySync to back up every week. I'm here just messing around with some hardware that will do all this for me. I really want to try and turn this into my own little DropBox.

Funlamb, please don't be discouraged by Rand's statements. You have a server class motherboard, a great CPU, and WD Red's. Do you have ECC RAM? If not, it would behoove you to replace it. Search the forum for some of the ECC threads. You might want to use Google - "site:forums.freenas.org ECC" (since the forum won't let you search 3 letter words.

Having 2 disks isn't necessarily bad. Maybe if it's striped and you don't have a backup. :( I run a pair of 2Tb drives in a ZFS mirror.

Check out some of the stickies, like cyberjock's guide. And, spend time reading the official FreeNAS guide (manual). Above all, remember the answer to everything is 42. o_O

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm really excited by all the NAS stuff. I just built my own computer to work with SolidWorks and I want to save all my stuff like I said before. I doo have ECC ram I just checked. I used one of the product guilds recommended by the FreeNAS PDF. Sadly I'm not very good with SolidWorks right now so I've gone back to my old computer till I get my skills up but I digress. I have a ton of plans with this thing and I'm just trying to learn all this stuff piece by piece.

Where are the stickies that you talk about? I look to the right of the forums but I don't see anything. It could be because I have been on a computer screen for the last 14 hours though. Thanks for the link. I'll be checking that our right now. Ohh should I edit my original post to show that the problem was solved? I didn't see that in the "Before you post anything on the site you better read this post" post.

Well, considering you aren't supposed to write the ISO to a USB stick using Win32DiskImager.. that's probably a good place to start. ;)

I'm sorry I had meant .img. I have just been unzipping and writing to the flash drive so many times I got confused.

Edit: Grammar and spelling.

gpsguy

The stickies are at the top of each forum and have a red pushpin next to the subject line. Here's an example.

Rand

Guru
Funlamb, please don't be discouraged by Rand's statements. You have a server class motherboard, a great CPU, and WD Red's.

Ah sorry didn't want to discourage anyone;) O/c the base system is perfectly alright but with only 2 disks (which i would recommend to mirror as well) and sharing over SMB one does not see blazing fast speeds and is disappointed (i was)- but that shouldn't stop anyone from reading and learning and finding out why (and fix it;) )

Status
Not open for further replies.