First time build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuneya

Dabbler
I'd like to build a home system that will be used for NAS, transcoding (unlikely to be more than 1 stream at a time), and to offload some of my data analysis to - so might run an RStudio server, or just ssh into it and run R on it.

Because of the last requirement, the more RAM I can get the better, but I also don't want to spend thousands of dollars on it, so price-wise I believe I'm constrained to DDR3, which then further constrains me to 32GB boards unless I go to more "ancient" X9 boards. I don't have too much local storage and 3-4 2/3Tb drives should be plenty.

Which board should I base my build upon given the above constraints and desires? I'm thinking of getting a X10SLM+-F or X10SLM-F board, but really wish there was a non-X9 board that supported more than 32GB of DDR3 RAM. Any advice/suggestions?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

nuneya

Dabbler
I'd like to have 128GB eventually.

I've tried doing some reading on the X9 vs X10 differences, and my understanding is that I'll be giving up a fair amount of power efficiency. Is that correct? What (else) would I be giving up, and do you think an X9 build would last me for 5 years? I'm a bit worried given that it's already 5+ years old.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
my understanding is that I'll be giving up a fair amount of power efficiency.
It might be a little different, but that depends more on what model CPU you select.
What (else) would I be giving up, and do you think an X9 build would last me for 5 years?
I picked one up like this, just a few months ago:
upload_2018-7-25_21-30-32.png

If you keep an eye out, you can find one like it and I certainly expect it to last 5 years or more. Where I work, I manage many servers that are approaching 10 years of age and we even have a couple still running that are 12 years old. If you configure them with quality parts and don't mess with them, they just sit there and run.
I'm a bit worried given that it's already 5+ years old.
I wouldn't be so cavalier with machanical parts like the drives. Get new hard drives if you can because 5 years is about the life expectancy for them, but it is different with non-moving parts. Server components are made much better and I see them last the full life of the system with no difficulty at all and, like I said, we have a server farm at work with many systems that have not been funded for replacement yet. The place I work moves with glacial slowness.

rvassar

Guru
I'm probably running one of the oldest systems on this forum. Socket 771 / DDR2 memory... It has a single thread Passmark rating of ~1027... The new i7-8086K only rates slightly less than 3x faster at 2880, and only 5x faster overall, if you can feed all those cores.

Moore's law failed years ago. Look at the numbers, you'll find a 5 year old high end CPU is a pretty good deal...

southwow

Contributor
What, specifically, are you talking about concerning transcoding? If it's a home media server scenario with Plex or similar, there is no need for an expensive SMP rig with > 32GB of memory. I'm able to serve out between 4 and 6 streams depending on the resolution and the number that are being transcoded for a small screen. At full 1080 (don't have a 4k tv yet), I can run 4 simultaneously over 1Gbit. I'd consider the NIC and drives to be the limiting factor.

I'm with @rvassar, I've run freenas on some pretty old hardware. Once upon a time, I had a dual 1.4Ghz Tualatin Pentium III rig as my NAS, lol. I consider my current 32GB X10 build enough to get me by for more than a few more years depending on how the security patches affect us.

@Chris Moore is a ninja at finding good deals on eBay! Server hardware is built to last, and the older it is, the cheaper spares become!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
there is no need for an expensive SMP rig
I don't think the OP was interested in a dual socket system, I was just using that as an example that not all X9 series system boards are limited to 32GB of system memory.

nuneya

Dabbler
Thanks!

All right, I'm sold on the X9SRL-F then, and I'll probably get a Xeon 2690 v2 for it. And to clarify one more time - I don't need the memory for the transcoding or nas, I need it for my other needs.

My final question is chassis. I don't have a rack, have no short-term plans of getting one, and this will run in a closet (with no AC vents). I don't particularly care about being able to hot-swap drives (I won't have more than 4, and if/when one of them fails I'm ok tinkering for a few minutes to fix it), and my (limited) understanding is that server chassis are quite loud. Any particular recommendations or is more or less any ATX case ok?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I don't need the memory for the transcoding or nas, I need it for my other needs.
The NAS does need memory, ZFS will use all you let it use for cache to make file operations faster. There are tunables that let you limit how much memory ZFS can use.
The other needs being some virtual machines?
and this will run in a closet (with no AC vents)
It will burn up from accumulated heat. You need to have air circulating in and out of the space to allow for cooling. All the components will generate heat, but the most sensitive components are the hard drives. If you want them to live a long, happy life, they need to stay between 30°C and 40°C.
(I won't have more than 4, and if/when one of them fails I'm ok tinkering for a few minutes to fix it)
There is no "IF" when it comes to hard drive failure, it is when. Best to have a spare drive ready. I keep two spares for all the sizes I use.
my (limited) understanding is that server chassis are quite loud.
Some of the older ones are quite loud, but some of the newer ones are quiet enough to have them in the office with you. I have a 48 bay rack mount chassis sitting in my home office 6 feet from my desk. I can hear it, but it doesn't bother me. I could just be used to the sound, but it isn't loud and high pitched like some of the older chassis were.
Any particular recommendations or is more or less any ATX case ok?
I like these cases because they give you room for 8 drives, they are very quiet and they have good air flow to keep the drives cool:
Fractal-Design-Define-R5-FD-CA-DEF-R5-BKO-Blackout-ATX-Mid-Tower-Computer-Case
https://www.ebay.com/itm/173352521681

also...

SAMSUNG 16GB PC3L-12800R DDR3-1600 ECC Registered 1.35V RDIMM...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/292643404291
Price: US $49.45 x 8 = $395.60 for 128GB of RAM !!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. That system board has what you call a narrow ILM, so you can't just put any old fan on it. This is the kind I use; it is quiet and works well:

Dynatron R27 Side Fan CPU Cooler 3U for Intel Socket LGA2011 (Narrow ILM)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401284811045
Price: US $39.59

pro lamer

Guru
some of the newer ones are quiet enough
Specifically I expect 1U and 2U to be louder than 3U, 4U... because of the fans - smaller fans need to spin faster

and (IIRC) smaller chassis have less space for air so higher air pressure has to be generated.

Status
Not open for further replies.