Old Hardware Build Dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

ere109

Contributor
I'm having a tough time with a build decision, and after much thought and forum reading, hope this is the best place to spread it out and ask for guidance.
I'm preparing to build my first FreeNAS system - hence the reason I'm here. I've got budgetary and space (12" tall max) constraints, so had initially been researching mini-ITX boards and cases, and was going to wait for Black Friday. These were generally Microstar X11 series, and low-power, which seemed ideal.
When I told a friend, who works in IT, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse: he gave me a Xeon 2670 and 128GB Samsung DDR3 memory. That saved my budget $1,500, meaning I could spend a lot more on hard drives.
However, that also means my only motherboard options are the old X9 boards (I'm currently eyeing the X9SRH-7TF). So I have to use a board with older technology (SAS2, USB2) in a larger form factor (ATX), that will use more power (115W) and generate more heat.
I'm a home user, and plan to use the new NAS as a personal file server, PLEX server for 2tb music/media, 6 security cameras and a couple of virtual machines. At most, there will be four users on at any given time.
So my question: is the older hardware going to work for my needs (including future uses that I won't realize until I install FreeNAS 11), or am I going to start out at a disadvantage and only go down from there?
This is a gift-horse, and I know it.

ere109

Contributor
I've also looked at the X9DRD-CNT+ board, which adds SAS3, but also only comes in the EE-ATX form factor. I could always buy a second processor later.

Stux

MVP
SAS2 is 6gbps and works fine for home use. USB2 is also fine for a FreeNAS.

128GB of ram bought new would cost thousands.

So, yeah. Buy an x9 board and be happy.

8 core sandy bridge. Haswell introduced the heavy idle CPU power savings.

Still a free CPU and 128GB of ram is a lot of budget for additional power...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
SAS2 is 6gbps and works fine for home use.
And beyond. 24Gb/s over one SFF-8087 cable is plenty for 24 spindles of rust.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm currently eyeing the X9SRH-7TF
If you are interested in going to a dual socket board, I would suggest this one X9DRL-7F
I would if I could afford all the hardware (CPU and RAM) to go with it.
About a year ago I actually had a X10DRi board and ended up selling it because I could not afford to buy the CPU and RAM to go with it.

ere109

Contributor
Thank you, all. You've convinced me that I've got plenty of umph in my free hardware. I'll get that single socket mobo ordered as soon as I find the right case to go with it in my space (12h x 17w x 13.5d).

rajy3k

Cadet
Hi, I am new to this forum. I have just upgraded my main system and the Old i7-4790k with Asus Maximus Hero board and 16Gb RAM is lying idle. Also, my Synology DS1815+ just conked off (20TB used of the available 40 TB, nothing in RAID as redundancy is not important). So instead of getting another synology, I wanted to check if I can use the old Processor, Motherboard and RAM for building a FreeNAS system? The only thing I use the NAS is for Media Library (Movies and Photos) with Plex Server running on Mac Mini and continuous seeding. Can I use the old hardware or should I go for new build. From what I read, FreeNAS prefers ZFS and hefty amounts of ECC RAM. Request guidance on should I go for New Xeon E5-2630 V4 with Supermicro-X10SRL-F and 2 X Kinston Value RAM 32GB 2400 MHz DDR4 ECC CL17 LRDIMM 4Rx4? OR my old hardware?

Stux

MVP
Good news is that Asus Maximus Hero board uses an Intel gigabit NIC (i219).

Bad news is the i7 doesn't support ECC. But that's not the end of the world.

If it were me, I would use the hardware you have at first. Get it up an running, and then build a new system when you decide you're happy with FreeNAS. Your old system will be a nice backup.

FreeNAS *requires* ZFS. And for the utmost reliability and confidence in your system, ECC is a good idea.

If you do build an X10 LGA2011 based system (which is quite possibly overkill depending on your requirements), then you should look into the E5-16XX chips, rather than E5-26XX ones. For instance the 1650 has significantly better single threaded performance. And that means you should use a 32GB RDIMM instead of a 32GB LRDIMM.

Other options are the X11 LGA1151, a Xeon D microsystem, or the new C3000 Denverton chips.

See: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/

Stux

MVP

rajy3k

Cadet
Good news is that Asus Maximus Hero board uses an Intel gigabit NIC (i219).

Bad news is the i7 doesn't support ECC. But that's not the end of the world.

If it were me, I would use the hardware you have at first. Get it up an running, and then build a new system when you decide you're happy with FreeNAS. Your old system will be a nice backup.

FreeNAS *requires* ZFS. And for the utmost reliability and confidence in your system, ECC is a good idea.

If you do build an X10 LGA2011 based system (which is quite possibly overkill depending on your requirements), then you should look into the E5-16XX chips, rather than E5-26XX ones. For instance the 1650 has significantly better single threaded performance. And that means you should use a 32GB RDIMM instead of a 32GB LRDIMM.

Other options are the X11 LGA1151, a Xeon D microsystem, or the new C3000 Denverton chips.

See: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/hardware-recommendations-guide.12/
If you say that the LGA2011 based systems are overkill? What would you suggest? I am asking this after reading more about the RAM requirements for ZFS and will it be okay if I go for the LGA1151 based systems to reduce the cost on Motherboard & Processor and add on RAM (128GB is stuck in my head for some unknown reasons, but I think I might stick with 64GB) instead. Will that be a good thought or else?? Appreciate if you can suggest a good enough build for me; requirements are primarily:
1. Media Library with Movies and Photos
2. Continuously seeding and downloads
3. Upgradable in terms of storage (This one is surely going to happen)

Status
Not open for further replies.