Build check: eBay wonder

nickt

Contributor
Hi all,

My finger has been hovering over the buy button for an X11SSL-F based build, when I discovered some of @Chris Moore's awesome suggestions for used kit from eBay. So I thought I should look a bit harder. I've found the following... looks ideal to me, but would appreciate any feedback / concerns I should have.
This would allow me to reuse my 32 GB DDR3 ECC RAM from my dead C2750D4I build (2x Crucial CT102472BD160B). I would team it up with Node 804 case, Seasonic Focus Gold 450 W PSU and existing 6x WD 3TB green / red drives.

From what I can tell, this would perform almost as well as my previously planned X11SSL-F + E3-1230 v6 idea, but for only a bit over half the price.

I'm struggling to find a reason not to go this way, particularly as I had hoped my old C2750D4I build would last for at least a few more years yet.

Very interested to hear your thoughts!

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Very interested to hear your thoughts!
There's only one thing, to me that price is really high, but if you are happy with it, that will work.
Do you have a SAS controller? Because it'll need boot media.

colmconn

Contributor
Hi all,
This would allow me to reuse my 32 GB DDR3 ECC RAM from my dead C2750D4I build (2x Crucial CT102472BD160B).

Have you contacted Asrock rack to see if they'll replace it for you (depending on how it failed)? Mine died last Jan (I bought it in 2015) and they replaced it for me due to the underlying hardware fault that caused the failure. It could be an even cheaper route to go than buying a new motherboard and CPU (you didn't mention heat-sink/cooler).

nickt

Contributor
Thank you both. I forgot to mention my handicap: I'm based in Australia. So price looked rather good, although I admit the CPU was rather expensive. In the end, I found an E3-1240 v3 from a US seller. This is both cheaper and not coming from China, which hopefully bodes well.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-X...et-H3-5-GT-s-SR152-CPU-Processor/283424470613

Have bought both the board and this CPU - here's hoping it works out!!

@Chris Moore - forgot to mention - I will continue to use my mirrored Cruzer Fit USB sticks. I know these have fallen out of favour these days, but I haven't had any problems.

@colmconn - this is actually the second board that died. The first time I did get a warranty replacement, but not without months of battle with NewEgg and ASRock Rack, neither of whom wanted to help me. Again, it was the Australia problem: I bought from NewEgg (US) and ASRock Rack offer no support in Australia. I just don't have the constitution to go through that again.

nickt

Contributor
Oh and heat sink / cooler: good point. Any recommendations? Have had a quick look around and there seems to be myriad rubbish at the usual PC parts outlets - I don't need RGB LEDs or massive heat pipe stacks. I assume that a rather basic fan sitting on heatsink will do the job. I keep my server under the house so noise isn't a problem. I'm losing my patience with googling the crap out of each part, so a recommendation would be rather nice!

Thanks.

file_haver

Explorer
Oh and heat sink / cooler: good point. Any recommendations? Have had a quick look around and there seems to be myriad rubbish at the usual PC parts outlets - I don't need RGB LEDs or massive heat pipe stacks. I assume that a rather basic fan sitting on heatsink will do the job. I keep my server under the house so noise isn't a problem. I'm losing my patience with googling the crap out of each part, so a recommendation would be rather nice!

Thanks.

Cryorig m9i and if noise is not an issue then you can get 2 high performance 92mm fans that will push insane amounts of air thru it. great cooler, its been thru 3 iterations of freenas builds as well as my main pc (before i got a 9900k and needed to go liquid!) never had a problem.

I am fairly obsessive about my cpu temps and i stay under 42c with this cooler using its stock fans. If it's unusually expensive in your country, the Thermaltake Gravity i2 also performs surprisingly well. I used a gravity 2 on a NAS powered by a 2nd gen i5.

Last edited:

nickt

Contributor