First FN build

stajo

Explorer
Hi,

I am starting to gather up for a FreeNas build. Well two actually. I have two old SuperMicro X9SRI-F with Intel XEON E5-1603 and 16 gig 1333Mhz memory workhorses. I am thinking to have one permanently on and one cold stand by that I do backups to from the hot one. The hot will have 9 4Tb storage discs and the cold 9 3 Tb's. I am thinking of do a Z1 config since I have a backup. I will store some Tb FLAC files some Tb MKVs, personal file shares for family members and maybe some PC backups. I am thinking of configurating them identically. And I also want Plex on them.

I am just wondering if you have some advices for me, do's and donts. I am starting to read up on pools, vdevs etc. Am I on a decent track for starters?

Staffan

artlessknave

Wizard
I would still recommend raidz2 on the main server and seriously consider it for the backup server, ESPECIALLY if you will be constantly power cycling it, as spin up/down is one of the hardest things to do to drives.
other than that, I don't see any problem, though the info you provided is kind of...sparse.