Files deleted from mounted Linux FREENAS folder

blade82

Cadet
Hello,

We had a FREENAS mounted folder on Linux and all the files were deleted using the Linux command - sudo rm -rf /mnt/sharename. On FREENAS, there was also Recycle Bin option that was enabled for this share but it looks like we can't find all the files that were deleted. Is there any other place where we can look for the files? Are there any other options we can try to restore the files we need?

Thank you

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Did you set up snapshots on the pool? If you did, then you can recover the data from a snapshot. If not, you will have to restore from backup.

blade82

Cadet
No, I haven't setup snapshots so I guess my only option is to restore from a backup. Is there any special backup you are referring to as I only enabled Recycle Bin on the folder shares?

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
No, I haven't setup snapshots so I guess my only option is to restore from a backup. Is there any special backup you are referring to as I only enabled Recycle Bin on the folder shares?
Backups are something you have to set up yourself, based on your specific needs.

I hate being the bearer of bad news, but if you weren't backing up your data then it's probably gone for good.