Accidentally Deleted Files on ZFS

Status
Not open for further replies.

relli10

Cadet
Hi,

I have stumbled across the freenas community while searching google for guides on recovering deleted files on ZFS file systems. It appears your community has extensive knowledge on ZFS recovery. Unfortunately I do not run a freenas server, rather I have a linux (ubuntu) server running ZFS on linux (http://zfsonlinux.org/). But Im hopefully somebody is able to help me get out of a very big problem I have got myself into....I've deleted some family photos which I really hope I can recover. The way they become deleted was that I had created a symlink on another drive pointing to the photos stored on my ZFS volume and forgot that it was a symlink. So while in the symlink directory in terminal, I issued an rm command to delete the symlink and but it deleted the source files as well. Usually this wouldnt have been a problem as I have rsyncbackups, but the photos were in a temporary location and unfortunately this temporary location was not part of the nightly backups. I also did not have ZFS snapshots activated.

From you wonderful forum, I've discovered that I may be able to recover the deleted files by rolling back my volume by importing it with the -nfFX flag.

As i don't want to issue commands without know what they do, I was wondering if somebody could guide me through this process step by step? I know Im on linux and freenas uses freeBSD, but I believe the ZFS commands will be the same.

Any help is much much much appreciated. I really hope I can get these photos back....

Thanks
Paul

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Rolling back is a bit more complicated than doing those flags. You have to know what transaction to roll back to. :p

I've done recovery on FreeBSD before, but not on Linux with ZFS. Not sure if the same exact parameters exist or not.

Since you sent me a PM I'll respond to your PM further.

Status
Not open for further replies.