Fatal Trap 12?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swat565

Dabbler
Just installed 8.0.1 on my 160gb drive, boots into disc fine and am able to install Freenas. Upon bootup of fresh install I keep getting this error *See Attachment*

Any help or steering in the right direction would be great, do to this being my first real time using freenas.

System Specs:

Norco 4220
Gigabyte GA-990fxa-ud5
Athlon II x4
4gb of DDR3 1333mhz
160GB Seagate Momentus (freenas OS drive)

Drives and controller:
IBM M1015
x8 Hitachi 3TB drives

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 236

swat565

Dabbler
just installed with an older 8.0.0(?) version I had lying around and no more error?

ProtoSD

MVP
Did you do a search for 'fatal trap 12' here in the forums? There can be a lot of reasons this can happen, there are some solutions in those threads. One of them involves a unloading/renaming a kernel module called 'xhci.ko', but only one of the developers can tell you if that's the problem you're having. There are screenshots in those threads that you can compare yours to see, but unless you really know what to look for it probably won't help.

I take it you haven't read the FAQ or you would realize that you're wasting 158GB of space on the harddrive you installed FreeNAS to. If you read the FAQ you'll understand why, there's a link in my signature below (Unofficial FAQ). FreeNAS 8 isn't intended to be installed to a hard drive like you could with FreeNAS 7.

Hope that gets you pointed in the right direction.

swat565

Dabbler
I've gone over the FAQ and searched other forums along with yours. I know that the 160gb goes mostly to waste. I went this route because we needed something internal (I don't want a USB stick hanging out that if pulled is going to bring the whole thing down) and it was the smallest drive newegg had. Unless I missed something (which I could have easily done) I didn't think there was a downside outside of wasted space?

ProtoSD

MVP
Unless I missed something (which I could have easily done) I didn't think there was a downside outside of wasted space?
Not really, other than electricity. It's just a common misconception people have about installing to a hard drive and I just wanted to make sure you understood. You probably could have found a 4/8GB solid state drive to plug into the IDE port or even a SATA DOM (Disk On Module) for about the same cost as the hard drive.

mullepol

Dabbler
As was mentioned there are lots of reasons for the error. I had the same problem with my recent upgrade. It worked fine in 8.0 but gave "Fatal Trap 12" when I upgraded to 8.0.1. In that case, disabling USB3 was the solution. I use a newish Gigabyte board too, although with a Intel H61 chipset.

MarkJohnson

Dabbler
As was mentioned there are lots of reasons for the error. I had the same problem with my recent upgrade. It worked fine in 8.0 but gave "Fatal Trap 12" when I upgraded to 8.0.1. In that case, disabling USB3 was the solution. I use a newish Gigabyte board too, although with a Intel H61 chipset.

Thank you very much. I was going crazy trying to figure this out.

I too have a Gigabyte mb (Z68) and disabling it worked like a charm.

Hopefully USB 3.0 gets support soon.

Thanks again
-=Mark=-

Status
Not open for further replies.