SOLVED Fatal Trap 12 and Over Icache errors

avalon60

Guru
I had to burn a fresh image of FreeNAS 11.2-2 onto a usb drive earlier, and flashed that to a 16gb Sandisk Cruzer Blade boot FreeNAS.
When FreeNAS boots up it gets so far and then stops booting with the said error Fatal Trap.

Also during the boot process I am getting this error: CPU 5 Cor (1024) OVER ICACHE L0 IRD error
The CPU number changes during booting as does the number in brackets

I had the ICACHE error last year and cleared it by removing the cpu, reseating and repasting with thermal compound, and that cured it then. But it does not cure it now.
What is the cause of both errors, is it the cpu, memory or something else.

Edit:
I reburned the FreeNAS image onto a different USB drive and now I get: Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b: movq $,kdb_why
I pressed the enter key on the keyboard, but it just returned: kdb> and stuck there.
During the boot process I am still seeing the Over Icache error. I removed each of the 2 memory sticks and reseated them, but it made no difference, as the FreeNAS boot process now gives :
Stopped at vfs_busy+0x1df: addb %al,((%rax)

Thanks

Last edited:

avalon60

Guru
After running memtest86 on the NAS server for around 4 hours it reported no faults or errors with the 2 8gb memory stick.
So that narrows itdown a bit

pro lamer

Guru
Does your rig boot with FreeNAS 11.x?

Edit: Have you ruled out incompatible pendrives?

memtest86
You may also move on to CPU tests...

Sent from my phone

avalon60

Guru
I have been trying to boot FreeNAS with 11.2-U2 with 3 different Sandisk USB sticks, and also tried booting with FreeNAS 11.1-U7.
Each and every time, the boot process gives OVER ICACHE errors on cpu 4 or 5, and then finishes with :
Stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b: movq $0,kdb_why.

To me it is looking like the problem is the cpu, so how could I test it.
I couldn't find anything that would test the cpu on FreeNAS, ony for winblows
Thanks

Last edited:

pro lamer

Guru
Last time I used ultimate boot cd. Not a very new software but enough for the CPU stress tests and contains prime95 test software known in our forums...

Sent from my phone

avalon60

Guru
I'm currently running Prime now on the FreeNAS machine. How long should I leave it running for, ie does it stop when finished or go on forever.

After about an hour or so Prime test V27.9 did not give any report on the state of the cpu. So is the cpu ok or what?

Edit:
I ran the stress test from the UBCD , and after about 12 hours,and it looked like it had stalled.

Last edited:

pro lamer

Guru

avalon60

Guru
No it didn't, and I bought another cpu , the same as what was already in , a xeon E3-140 v2, and FreeNAS is running fine again now.

pro lamer

Guru
No it didn't, and I bought another cpu , the same as what was already in , a xeon E3-140 v2, and FreeNAS is running fine again now.
Glad to see you've managed :)

pro lamer

Guru
Post scriptum

... and sorry to hear you lost a CPU. I hope it wasn't expensive...

Have you ruled out overheating issues? I'm worried overheating might damage more CPUs

Sent from my phone

pro lamer

Guru
Will you mark the thread as solved, so others having same issue can find the solution more easily?

Sent from my phone

avalon60

Guru
Post scriptum

... and sorry to hear you lost a CPU. I hope it wasn't expensive...

Have you ruled out overheating issues? I'm worried overheating might damage more CPUs

Sent from my phone

Well the original cpu was about £130 UK money, but the new 2nd hand one was £75 on ebay.
The cpu has never been overclocked, but when I looked at the cpu fan to remove it, the tangs on one of the legs had broken off, so the cooling fan was not seated on the cpu properly.
I bought an ARCTIC Freezer pro cpu fan this time which has better cooling and the legs are better and easier to hold the fan down