Fatal Trap 12 -> Points to Chelsio NIC

DrewN

Dabbler
I had a perfectly working install for one day, now I am not able to re-install.

First install went fine. I started putting FreeNAS through its paces, and the web UI started to run extremely slowly. Shut down. Upon reboot, I received an error message; I believe something to the affect that it couldn’t find the kernel.

Given I was just testing, no big deal, start from scratch. I get stuck in the same place every time, Fatal Trap 12, at the end it stops at t4_get_port_stats.

Removing the Chelsio NIC, I get no error.

I have three different Chelsio NICS, and I get the same error on all. Tried with a Mellanox instead. With the Mellanox, I get a can’t allocate enough memory error.

Not sure what to do.

Specs:
SuperMicro X11
Xeon Scalable Bronze
256GB RAM
6 NvME’s Installed
LSI 9300 x 2

I took out the HBA’s and tried two separate Chelsio 420’s, two separate Chelsio 440, a Chelsio T-580, and Mellanox ConnectX-3. Same results as above.

I purchased new flash drives. Tried USB2 and USB3. Tried installing to HDD, tried installing to SSD. Same result.

Set BiOS to failsafe, tweaked a few different things. I believe with only internal NIC, it did install and boot fine. But, I need more than just the internal NiC.
Suggestions?

Snow

Patron
What are the system specs? Like Mother board Model ? Try This Remove your LSI 9300 and see if your 10GB/s Nics will boot.

DrewN

Dabbler
I removed everything except the NIC’s same issue. I’ve got several other SM servers, different motherboards, but all LSI HBA’s and Chelsio NIC’s.

I do have a correction though, the X11 worked, X9 worked, both UEFI. The server I would ideally put the FreeNAS is X8dti/f. Same specs as above aside from motherboard/processor. It’s x8dti-f dual xeon 5680. I’ve got three identical, so I could try another with the same specs, but it’s May be more trouble than it’s worth. I might just use the x9.

I attached a screenshot of the error.

Attachments

• ACB3E68E-3622-4F57-AEEC-F7EC57758555.jpeg
    ACB3E68E-3622-4F57-AEEC-F7EC57758555.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 244

Snow

Patron
I have that Motherboard and same cpu. Is this on a freash install? What are you useing for a boot drive? Try a freash install and use leagecy/disable all Option Roms for every thing. Also be for you install make sure all is set legacy and not uefi. I Nerver did figuer it out but that trap12 error Ive only seen on failed installs. I had problems with both Option roms on x9/x8 boards on install or after. I think all supermicro board leave them on by defualt in the bios.

DrewN

Dabbler
Thanks for the extra info. I believe I tried with all op roms disabled.

The bios may be due for an update. I don’t have the option to choose UEFI on any of the X8’s. My initial research into the BIOS Update returned no fruit. I couldn’t find any info on the website about latest version. That could certainly be something.

I put the bootloader on a new drive, installed to a new drive, right out of the box. There are 6 Drives in the chassis connected to the internal controller which remained installed. These drives were part of a test zfs array. I’m thinking now if system detects an old zfs array, it could pose a problem.

I’ll give those aforementioned areas a shot, if not, I’ll likely virtualizeand pass through the Controllers

Last edited:

Snow

Patron
You may have to go off the supermicro site for X8 bios update, I did X9 I think I found. May have to do some goolge foo and find it . Also you could go back ver try that. Unless there is some thining you need from the newer Bios.