Failing to download the iso install file

Tony Self

Contributor
I am getting very frustrated. I have tried downloading the current TrueNAS Core iso install file on my Intel MacBook Pro, but whether I use Safari or Chrome the download stops after downloading somewhere between 5% and 20%. I am in Thailand using 3BB as my internet provider with speeds of 1TB down and 500MB up.
I have also tried downloading on my Acer S3 Aspire which is now installed with Unbuntu 22.04. This did manage to complete the download very slowly, which I then copied across to my MacBook to use Balena Etcher to write it to a SanDisk USB stick. Unfortunately when I booted on my new installation the install menu did not appear after selecting option 1 on the grub menu. See attached screen captures.
it has been a very frustrating day. Does anyone know of another host I can use to download the file?

Tony Self

Tony Self

Contributor
Sorry, I forgot to add the screenshots

Attachments

• IMG_1571.jpeg
    IMG_1571.jpeg
    299.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1573.jpeg
    IMG_1573.jpeg
    350.1 KB · Views: 73

Davvo

MVP
You can compare the downloaded ISO checksums in order to understand if the file is corrupt.
I would redo the burning of the ISO on a different stick and try again.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
speeds of 1TB down and 500MB up
<pedantry>
That's an impressive disparity in an async network connection...

Also an enormous bandwidth for an individual.

If you're using the notation/abbreviation correctly, 1 TeraByte per second of download is the kind of connection that entire (small) countries would have been happy with a few years ago.

If you meant 1 Terabit per second, that's still the most impressive personal connection I know of... usually ISPs and large corporate/government entities would be the only cases where such fast connections exist.

I can only imagine the gear you would need to run that... certainly not a small home router.

In the other direction, it's also impressive... 500 MegaBytes per second or even 500 Megabits per second is not a slow connection at all... although pales in comparison to your download (which I suspect is just a mistake).
</pedantry>

Don't take my statements above too seriously... I understand that what you meant to say was probably 1 Gbit down and 500 Mbit up. That's a pretty decent Internet connection by all current standards.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
All pedantry aside, everything was working fine for me around Tuesday, when I also happened to be downloading the ISO. Sounds like a borked CDN.

You can try the direct download links, which I understand bypass the CDN: https://download.freenas.org/13.0/STABLE/U5.3/

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
(Sidenote: going through a rebranding at work, I sympathize deeply with the continued use of the old freenas.org domain for the downloads server. We all have enough things to do without migrating things to a different domain.)

Davvo

MVP
(Sidenote: going through a rebranding at work, I sympathize deeply with the continued use of the old freenas.org domain for the downloads server. We all have enough things to do without migrating things to a different domain.)
If it works don't break it!

Tony Self

Contributor
Hi, sorry for the delay in responding to you. I had been getting very frustrated with the build, I needed to stand down for a few days.

I managed to get a few TrueNas Core iso downloaded and I did check the sha-256 to make sure the files weren't corrupt. Each time I try the install I get the same result as shown in the two images above.

As I said, I tried a Ubuntu Desktop 22.04 install which succeeded without issue.

I then thought I would try a TrueNAS Scale install. Again a successful installation without any issues

I really wanted to install TrueNAS Core as that is what I have got currently installed on my old HP Microserver Gen8. I was wanting to bring across my existing pools which contain my Plex data and my Plugins and Jails on a SSD pool. However, looking at the apps available on Scale, I am not adverse to upgrading to Scale.

One thing I have discovered with my build is the IPMI module on the ASRock Rack motherboard does not appear to be working properly. The server management section of the Bios reports that the BMC self test status is FAILED. I am wondering whether the TrueNAS Core install would pickup on this and perhaps that is why the install is failing . IO am contacting the company that supplied my with the motherboard for their support.

Comments would be appreciated

Tony Self

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
What sort of controller is in that server? FreeBSD trying to use the mfi driver hints it is not well supported by TrueNAS, anyway. Generally you want an HBA using mpt.

Tony Self

Contributor