SOLVED Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool does not recognize ISO file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgamari

Cadet
I'm upgrading my current NAS hardware to 11.0 and according to the documentation I should use the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool. I downloaded the tool, installed it, and started the program. It asks for the source file location, I browse to it and select the exact name of the .iso file as downloaded from freeNAS. After clicking next, I get a message that says, "The selected file is not a valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again.

This could be painful. Any suggestions or solutions?

Neeraj Saraf

Dabbler
If you mean "upgrading my current NAS OS to 11.0", you may want to consider unetbootin or Rufus...same process. Make a bootable pen drive by running the program, select the ISO path. Once the pen drive is ready, put it in the target system and chose upgrade.

Neeraj Saraf

Dabbler
If you mean "upgrading my current NAS OS to 11.0", you may want to consider unetbootin or Rufus...same process. Make a bootable pen drive by running the program, select the ISO path. Once the pen drive is ready, put it in the target system and chose upgrade.
Another and easier option would be to upgrade from within FreeNAS itself. It'll download the new files and install without much effort on your part

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm upgrading my current NAS hardware to 11.0 and according to the documentation I should use the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool. I downloaded the tool, installed it, and started the program. It asks for the source file location, I browse to it and select the exact name of the .iso file as downloaded from freeNAS. After clicking next, I get a message that says, "The selected file is not a valid ISO file. Please select a valid ISO file and try again.

This could be painful. Any suggestions or solutions?
It would be helpful if you told us a little about what hardware you are trying to upgrade. If you are using a Supermicro system board, you can mount the ISO directly using the IPMI interface and there is no need to make any boot media.
The more you tell us, the more we are able to provide informed, useful answers.

dgamari

Cadet
It would be helpful if you told us a little about what hardware you are trying to upgrade. If you are using a Supermicro system board, you can mount the ISO directly using the IPMI interface and there is no need to make any boot media.
The more you tell us, the more we are able to provide informed, useful answers.
Thank you Chris. I was able to upgrade using Rufus.

dgamari

Cadet
Another and easier option would be to upgrade from within FreeNAS itself. It'll download the new files and install without much effort on your part
Thank you Neeraj. I took your earlier advice and used Rufus. Worked like a champ. Now I'm trying to fix an unidentified network prompt in Windows 10. I can ping a static address, but I can's see directories or files on the NAS.

Neeraj Saraf

Dabbler
Thank you Neeraj. I took your earlier advice and used Rufus. Worked like a champ. Now I'm trying to fix an unidentified network prompt in Windows 10. I can ping a static address, but I can's see directories or files on the NAS.

Unidentified network prompt? Could you be more specific? Or post a screen shot, perhaps?

Artion

Patron
Status
Not open for further replies.