Can not burn the ISO to disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdbaumann

Explorer
Using Mac OSX latest version. I download any of the current or old version of FreeNAS and I get a message when mounting the ISO that there is no file system on the image. Mount fails and I am unable to burn new versions to CD/DVD. Doing this via the webpage. (Does anyone know of a FTP server that has a copy of the latest?)

I had this problem when FTPing an ISO of Windows Server, and I solved the FTP problem by doing it in BIN mode. Just not sure what the issue is with downloading off the site currently.

If it's just me, then any help in why I am now experiencing this issue when I have never had a problem until the last week would be extremely welcome.

If it's more than me having this issue then perhaps something is not set right on the download server?

Any help or direction appreciated.

Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
I get a message when mounting the ISO that there is no file system on the image.
What do you mean by mounting the image?

This is a bootable image and I'm not sure what software you are using to "mount" it but it should be burned to a CD-R type media typically. It's possible you are not able to download a good image but that is doubtful.

kdbaumann

Explorer
Checking checksum's. This all worked just fine two weeks ago. Which is why I am confused. I didn't keep that image on my laptop or I wouldn't have even noticed this as an issue.

Thanks Let you know, shortly.

DaveF81

Explorer
You probably need to convert the ISO image before writing it to a USB or CD. Sadly, this is the way OS X works.
Code:
hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/freenas.iso

You can then write to USB or CD using the target.img file. Recommend you use dd for writing to USB.

If using dd, run 'diskutil list' to determine the device node (e.g. /dev/disk2) . Then run 'diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN' (replace N with your device). Next run dd:

Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/target.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
You probably need to convert the ISO image before writing it to a USB or CD. Sadly, this is the way OS X works.
I've never had to do that when burning an ISO with Mac OS:
  1. Open Disk Utility.
  2. Click Burn.
  3. Select ISO.
  4. Insert media.
  5. Burn.
EDIT: 0. Verify checksum.

DaveF81

Explorer

DaveF81

Explorer
Let me put this another way. I've had countless issues when writing ISO images to CD or DVD media on a Mac. I only ever had success with two applications, Burn and Toast (both were linked previously). The Disk Utility application is next to useless for writing ISO images, DMGs no problem. Using hdiutil as previously suggested, was one way to convert the ISO to a DMG and be able to use Disk Utility successfully.

This is why it sucks to burn CD/DVDs from ISO images on a Mac, you have to use a workaround or 3rd party utility to make it work. At least I always had to.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
The Disk Utility application is next to useless for writing ISO images...
I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. I don't know why it fails for you, but I frequently use DiskUtility to burn ISO images, and have done so on multiple Macs. It has only ever failed for me when the drive in the Mac was dying of old age, or the media was unsuitable. I do usually select a conservative burn speed (lower than maximum), but I would do that regardless of which program I used.

Legs11

Cadet
Code:
hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o ~/path/to/target.img ~/path/to/freenas.iso

You can then write to USB or CD using the target.img file. Recommend you use dd for writing to USB.

If using dd, run 'diskutil list' to determine the device node (e.g. /dev/disk2) . Then run 'diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN' (replace N with your device). Next run dd:

Code:
sudo dd if=/path/to/target.img of=/dev/rdiskN bs=1m

Bang on.

Surprised to see so many arguments against what DaveF81 says, and I'm an Apple fan boy. Recently, since the previous post in this thread, Apple have gutted Disk Utility, but DaveF81's method still works.

Status
Not open for further replies.