Failed Asrock C2750?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RYknow

Explorer
So about a week ago, I had my NAS go down (It's been running since November, zero hardware changes since the initial build). I figured it was my thumb drive, so I bought a new one and waited for it to arrive. Upon further investigation it would appear I have a much bigger problem. When I boot the machine I get two green LED's and the fans all spin up (no VGA display). Shortly there after the green LED closest to the CMOS battery goes out, there is a quick red flash right next to the front panel header pins, and then the green LED by the CMOS battery starts flashing. I've been through the manual, which makes zero mention of the LED's and what the significance of flashing or on solid is. I was assuming maybe I was having an issue with RAM suddenly (Kingston ECC, 16gb). With the two sticks I've tried every combination I could think of in the ram slots, still can't even get a post on the screen.

I've taken to the IPMI interface and I was able to upgrade the firmware, which hasn't helped my situation. I tried using the remote control feature to get into the BIOS and no matter what, I just get a black screen. I can't for the life of me get the machine to boot. I pulled the CMOS battery to reset the BIOS, still no luck.

Machine specs are as follows;
C2750
16gb Kingston ECC
6x Seagate 3tb (raidz2)
Seasonic Fanless 420watt PSU

It's all housed in a Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (dual 140mm intake fans, and one 140mm exhaust. I live in new england and we did have a hot spell for two weeks, but during that time, the NAS was idle. No streaming from it, and I copied very few files to it. I can't imagine it got too hot.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciate.

-RYknow

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Call asrock? You have a warranty for that board probably. I would guess your power supply went bad.

-RYknow

Explorer
I guess I can try Asrock. I'm thinking the PSU is fine. I'm able to access the machine of IPMI, start the machine with it, and everything spins up. I verified each HD is running as well. Just can't get the board to post.

I guess I can try Asrock. I'm thinking the PSU is fine. I'm able to access the machine of IPMI, start the machine with it, and everything spins up. I verified each HD is running as well. Just can't get the board to post.
Do you have a powersupply tester? And if not, do you have a known functional PSU you can test with your AsRock board, or test your current PSU in another system?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
IPMI runs off of the 5VSB rail, which is generally kinda like an independent PSU, so that doesn't rule out a PSU failure.

-RYknow

Explorer
Do you have a powersupply tester?

I do not.

And if not, do you have a known functional PSU you can test with your AsRock board, or test your current PSU in another system?
IPMI runs off of the 5VSB rail, which is generally kinda like an independent PSU, so that doesn't rule out a PSU failure.

Well... I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow now. HAHA! I have plenty of PSU's, their all just in machines right now. I guess I'll rip one out of a machine and try it tomorrow. I assume there isn't a good way of testing a PSU with a voltmeter?

-RYknow

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
assume there isn't a good way of testing a PSU with a voltmeter?

Nope. I had a similar issue a few months ago on my router. Multimeter had some nice voltage values, but replacing the PSU with a known-good one immediately and completely fixed the issue.

-RYknow

Explorer
Nope. I had a similar issue a few months ago on my router. Multimeter had some nice voltage values, but replacing the PSU with a known-good one immediately and completely fixed the issue.

Ok, thanks for the heads up! I'll be some disappointed if this seasonic has failed me. Their...as far as I know....one of the top PSU manufacturers. The fanless design has kept my NAS silent! It's been fantastic!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ok, thanks for the heads up! I'll be some disappointed if this seasonic has failed me. Their...as far as I know....one of the top PSU manufacturers. The fanless design has kept my NAS silent! It's been fantastic!
Everyone has the occasional failed unit, though Seasonic Fanless/X-Series/Platinum is an excellent platform. That said, I'd never go with a fanless PSU for a server.

-RYknow

Explorer
That said, I'd never go with a fanless PSU for a server.

To be honest, I thought it was kind of a gamble. But I tried to better my odds by going with a good brand, and having a larger case with good air flow to better my odds. All said and done I hope it is just the PSU.

Erik Stam

Cadet
I have exactly the same problem with my asrock c2750. Did you ever found a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.